Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to get a bare laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickit

i cant seem to find any bare lasers on the internet or at electronics stores for that matter. I am looking for a a laser unit that is just a little thing that a laser comes out one end and -/+ leads on the other end(and data sheet). I would like to have something that is around 150-300mW and i realize that this is pretty much guaranteed to be a green laser. The one thing i can see myself having a problem is that the cost will most likely exceed what i am willing to pay and i can for see myself dropping my power expectations. Mostly i am looking for a laser that can light a cigarette. to give you an idea of the intensity of this laser and that can go as low as around 90mW.

So if i can get a link or a place to look for that would be great and much appreciated.

P.S. As far as the legality issue for the power of the lasers, i am 99.9% certain that as long as i stay at or under 300mW there shouldn't be a problem.

Green Laser Pointer from Wicked Lasers. <-- like that but bare component.

i cant seem to find any bare lasers on the internet or at electronics stores for that matter. I am looking for a a laser unit that is just a little thing that a laser comes out one end and -/+ leads on the other end(and data sheet). I would like to have something that is around 150-300mW and i realize that this is pretty much guaranteed to be a green laser. The one thing i can see myself having a problem is that the cost will most likely exceed what i am willing to pay and i can for see myself dropping my power expectations. Mostly i am looking for a laser that can light a cigarette. to give you an idea of the intensity of this laser and that can go as low as around 90mW.

So if i can get a link or a place to look for that would be great and much appreciated.

P.S. As far as the legality issue for the power of the lasers, i am 99.9% certain that as long as i stay at or under 300mW there shouldn't be a problem.

Go on Ebay, they have hundreds for sale.

It depends on where you live or course.

A 90mW laser can burn and will blind you instantly.

A 300mW laser can cause severe burns.

I'm sure a 300mW laser could be classed as a fire arm but you live in Texas where everyone shoots each other so it's no problem for you.

And your right about the texas thing we do all use our neighbors as target practice, thats why we live so far apart but i am still looking for a place to either order or go pick up a laser like these and while im not going to use mine to hurt people thats a possibility that i have already found a tutorial for that uses nothing as complex as an actual laser.

Go on Ebay, they have hundreds for sale.

WHat about eye safety? Any laser that can light a cigarette can also damage your eyes- not only from pointing in your eyes or reflections from reflective surfaces like other lasers. I am talking about reflections from ANY surface including dull, dark surfaces (known as diffuse reflections) as well as just viewing the laser midbeam as it scatters off the air molecules as it travels through.

EDIT: It seems those are class IV lasers. 300mW lasers are Class IIIB lasers where diffuse reflections are not supposed to harm your eyes. BUt my point still stands as physics and biology doesn't have such nice clean cut divisions. THere's also the issue of it probably shining straight into the sky as you use it outside.

Last edited:
**broken link removed**

It's not a 'module', but it's closer than the DJ ones I saw on e-bay. They have higher rated ones as well.

Watch out for the e-bay lasers, a lot of them are mislabeled crap. Do a video search for "green laser" and you'll get an eye full. As far as power I have seen 900 mw lasers for sale under $250, that's 900 mw not 90 mw. In the riots in Greece last month lasers were used to blind police. Some of these lasers had been modified for higher outputs. There are video tutorials on how to do it although you risk ruining the laser if it goes wrong. A laser that will pop a balloon or light a cigarette will destroy an eye so be very careful.

Last edited:
Within the U.S., laser products for demonstration or public display purposes are limited to Class IIIa power levels, or 5 milliwatts. Even systems within this 5 mW limitation should not be used carelessly. Higher powered systems and displays are permitted to operate under the conditions of a special permit, called a variance. Without this document, displays using lasers more powerful than a laser pointer are prohibited. To obtain an approved variance, a laser show producer agrees to certify each display to meet a set of safety standards which insure that there is no risk of injury to the public, or to performers on stage from the higher laser power levels allowed.

This obviously is talking about putting on a laser show, but if you were to injure someone with a laser > 5mw you would be liable.

Curious, why and the heck do you want such a laser?

Last edited:
The OP mentioned in his opening post lighting cigarettes.

Well gee, a BIC lighter works pretty good and only a buck. Matches are even cheaper.

A 90mw laser would not fit the pocket to well either...

Last edited:
I don't know where to find one, but bear lasers sound pretty awesome.

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned getting a laser out of a DVD Writer.

They are high power red lasers and will light a match/cigarette from a meter or so away when properly focussed.

At around $30 for a DVD writer its a cheapish way of bagging one.

Have a search on youtube for DVD laser ;)

As for what i am going to use it for: imagine an immense laser show from a pocket sized device (not including a power supply) as this will not be a display that people or aircraft for that matter will be in a direct line of sight with and it will be pointed to the sky so the diffused lighting effect isnt an issue more to the point it will be used to accentuate a fireworks show so there will be plenty of smoke and fog to show the lights 90% of the lasers should be seen about 150ft in the air as the fireworks will be fused to fire at 250ft.

The next question will probably be "why so powerful you dont need something that powerful" well i have always been one to overdo things and i want a very bright and impressive display.

I have looked one ebay and the ones that i find that look like they would work for my purpose seem to be either WAY to high a price or WAY WAY too low a price so im kind skeptical as of now.

And yes i have thought and already removed a laser out of a CD drive but it is to say the least a bit flimsy and the beam is a bit thin so i dont think it will be visible at the distances and over the already created light of the fireworks but i have heard that the blue-ray lasers are something to behold but i dont want to buy a blue-ray player and just take a hammer to it right away.

As far as safety when im building this circuit, is a pair of polarized sunglasses acceptable for protection against indirect light from the laser?

Thanks Dark for the link im looking into it now

Im about to google bear lasers Duffy

Mikebits i have a LOT of BIC lighters as i am a smoker and nice avatar

I suppose i should have given the back story to begin with sorry and thanks for all your help

You can get a 50mw blue laser pointer here for a couple hundred bucks -
**broken link removed**

You probably don't want a "bare" laser diode, as they need a collimator and regulator. Without the collimator, the beam is fan-shaped.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what the significance of the wavelength is exactly?

and i found this which is amazingly in in my city
**broken link removed**

And the nm ? what does that stand for / mean ?

Last edited:
I have done some searching and i think i have found where i am going to get my laser diode and other materials that are required.
Home

But now i am looking for a good "tutorial" on how to power and control laser diodes. When i do a google search i only get either equipment that does it or data sheets on equipment or thing i have to pay for but i know there has to be a tutorial out there for free that someone has made for educational services. Wether it be video or auido or powerpoint or pdf etc... etc...

Does anyone know of a site or link that can point me in the right direction?

And thanks again duffy

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back