Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to find a large microphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are large microphones, but they are expensive. One such device is called an "EMT Plate".

Why not use a Speaker as a mic?

the mikes in old telephone handsets are about two inches.

the mikes in old telephone handsets are about two inches.

Yes they are, But there Carbon Mikes and notvery useful in most circuits.

This is why I asked 'why he wanted it', the threads growing but not really giving any useful answers (as far as we know?), because we don't know his reasons.

The later large telephone microphones didn't use carbon mikes, they had an electronic mike inside with electronics to duplicate the operation of a carbon mike. They were a common replacement for the older carbon mikes to prevent crackles from the mike - who remembers bashing the handset to try and stop the noises? 8)

I believe he wants it for a Parabolic Mic. I told him that a Small Electric condensor mic is hard to get exactially in the focal point. And Also depending on the PINPOINT accuracy of the parabolic, a lot of signal will completely miss a small mic.

Hi Chemelec,
Have you ever heard a small speaker that is used as a microphone? Its strong resonance is in the middle of an adult male's voice spectrum and sounds bad. At least the very low ouput impedance of an amplifier damps it somewhat, but as a microphone there isn't much damping.

I use speakers as microphones Quite Often.
Look at the "Parabolic Mic" and "Speaker as a Mic" Articles on my website.

**broken link removed**

Admittedly, they are Not High Fidility, but for some applications they work great and depending on the speaker, the response can be pretty good.

Also, a 6 inch speaker attached to a wall is quite good for evesdropping on the next room or next appartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back