Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to buy Special IC's for Canadians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_wadley

I live in Ontario Canada, I go to the source (canadian radioshack) when I am in a hurry and dont value my money, and I go to Sayal (A large electronics where house) for cheaper prices and a large selection.

Sayal however doesnt have things such as Memory chips, Microchips, sound chips ect.

I know Jameco and Mouser are big names but which one you would you say is best for Canadian buyers.. Price wise?

Thanks

Digikey sells to Canada.

Digikey for most parts. For some large orders where shipping cost is a small fraction mouser can be much better (nearly half the price of Digikey for certain things).

www.newarkinone.ca also has millions of electronic parts. They were bought by worldwide Farnell so they have lots of European parts.

Sayal has old surplus stuff. I got some name-brand switching 5V/2A tiny power supplies tor only $2.50CAN each and they have a pot inside that adjusts the voltage up to 24VDC. They were made for computer routers that are obsolete.

audioguru said:
www.newarkinone.ca also has millions of electronic parts. They were bought by worldwide Farnell so they have lots of European parts.

Sayal has old surplus stuff. I got some name-brand switching 5V/2A tiny power supplies tor only $2.50CAN each and they have a pot inside that adjusts the voltage up to 24VDC. They were made for computer routers that are obsolete.

Aside from Sayal and The Source, are there any good electronic stores for us canadians guru?

I dont know if you live around the GTA - but that is as far as I would drive before going over the NET for parts.

WHy would you even bother getting parts at a local store? There are so many electronic components you'd be hard pressed to find everything you want at a local store. They also have large markups if you get them at a brick-and-mortar store.

I wouldnt even call The Source an store that sells electronic components...

dknguyen said:
WHy would you even bother getting parts at a local store? There are so many electronic components you'd be hard pressed to find everything you want at a local store. They also have large markups if you get them at a brick-and-mortar store.

I wouldnt even call The Source an store that sells electronic components...

Well going to a site like digikey is not appealing to me because I am a visual kind of guy.

I like to look at what the part looks like.. not just siphon through a bunch of item numbers..

Fast reply eh?

There are a few Active electronic parts stores in Canada. They have many arts in bags on display. Their prices are higher than online but not too high.

Peter_wadley said:
Well going to a site like digikey is not appealing to me because I am a visual kind of guy.

I like to look at what the part looks like.. not just siphon through a bunch of item numbers..

There are only a limited number of packages, look at the tatasheet.

Hello!
I live in the Ottawa area, so I feel your pain. I've learned that online buying is the best for components. Mostly, smaller online web stores are the best, and I've been able to find one that I really like that is based in Ontario.
https://dipmicro.com/store/
The owner is awesome, and they are expanding their inventory so you can probably ask to see if they can get some part for you.

Else, there's E-Bay stores which sometimes carry components and the shipping prices are really nice. Other than that, I've used this site for my programmer and some components and the owner is a great guy:
https://phanderson.com/

I'd recommend looking for smaller online stores, the service is usually great, shipping minimum and the prices very affordable.

Omar

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back