Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to buy portable small DC powered timer and solenoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfsup

I need to design a solenoid that extends when triggered by a timer... remains extended for x amount of time, x is no longer than ten seconds (preferably the timer would be accurate within 1/100th of a second... but tenth of a second would be acceptable for the initial design). After x amount of time is up, the solenoid resets (retracted) in its initial position (I figure that I can design a solenoid operating in tandem of a spring mechanism to retract it).

The solenoid doesnt have to exert too much force, so nothing too powerful, maybe slightly more power as it would take to type on an older keyboard and the solenoid extension distance doesnt have to be more than a hair over half a centimeter.

Would prefer this system be as small as possible, and DC powered, think RC car battery size power source.

I generally dont design or work on electronics so if anyone could point me in the direction of places or online electronic stores that might have the parts required for what I am working on, I would very much appreciate it.

Feel free to give me a few lists of small electronic parts suppliers as I never know when I may need them in the future.

Thanks in advance.

As to a solenoid this link should provide a start. The travel of the solenoid is called the stroke. Solenoids as you seem to be looking for are quite common from dozens of sources.

If you want a canned solution as to a timer and don't want to build one using discreet components you would consider something along these lines. Just a matter of what you want exactly.

You could pair up a timer and solenoid to likely run off 12 or 24 VDC depending on your application. These are simple commercial pretty much plug and play solutions.

Ron

...extends when triggered by a timer...
What is the length of time between triggers? How accurate does that have to be?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back