Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where to buy a permanent magnet synchronous motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebevti

when I search for PMSM vendors, I get taken to www.alibaba.com which lists a zillion vendors in China.

but how bout in the US? Who sells motors in general? And I mean bigger motors, not small little ones u can find at radio shack.

A ballpark spec I'm looking for is something like this:

1 hp (750 Watts)
1800 rpm
8 N-m torque
3-phase
4-pole
42 V input

So, not too massive, but something that has some reasonable power output that you can use.

Anyone know where you can buy stuff like this?

Places like Digikey and Allied and Newark (or whatever it's called) dont sell them, but there must be a few distributors. Thanks.

Are you talking abut brushless DC motors like these: **broken link removed**

There are several other vendors/brands/manufactturers. I think Neu makes most of their own motors. With other brands it is a little hard to tell sometimes what is made and what is just branded. Neu makes good motors and was simply a link I had. You can certainly find other, cheaper brands that will function well.

Hobby King would be one place to look for cheaper units. It is based in Hong Kong, but now has limited distribution centers in several countries, including the US. Outside the hobby arena, I suspect industrial motors will get quite expensive.

John

Last edited:
jpan,

no, not brushless DC motors, which are PM ...close though...I need PM SYNCHRONOUS motors

any other vendors?

even European companies are fine, I just want to hear what's out there other than Chinese companies.

For instance, Lucas-Nulle are a European vendor, but their motors are tailored to academic lab settings it seems, not for something you would use in a product.

Appreciate more suggestions, thanks.

I am not sure I understand the distinction you are making. The brushless motors I mention are also sensorless. There are 3 lines in and reversing any two lines causes the rotation to reverse.

John

I am not sure I understand the distinction you are making. The brushless motors I mention are also sensorless. There are 3 lines in and reversing any two lines causes the rotation to reverse.

John

a synchronous motor has sinusoidal winding distribution

BLDC has a trapezoidal distribution. Also, the BLDC is excited one phase at a time.

BLDC has a trapezoidal distribution. Also, the BLDC is excited one phase at a time.

Synchronous motors lock in on the frequency of the power plant generator so they run at the exact same frequency of the 60 Hz generator no sensors are needed.

As an attorney might say, that is a distinction without a difference. The waveform used for a sensorless, 3-phase BLDC is more out of convenience than necessity.

See:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/10/Sekalala_thesis.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/10/doc2592.pdf
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/10/3PHACBLDCHVPSUG.pdf

The first reference is particularly explicit.

John

Last edited:
Sounds like what you are looking for is a common PM stator or excited stator type three phase motor and again they are most often can be found listed as stepper motors, servo motors, or BLDC motors.

How they are driven does not matter. Sine wave or square wave, one phase at a time or multiple phases at a time the motors themselves all work basically the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back