Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

where i can get spice

Status
Not open for further replies.

zavedur rahman

hello brothers & sisters, i'm new here, im a enrolling undergrad student of electronics. can somebody tell me where i can find a free spice simulator for linux. i really need one.

Linear Technology's SwitcherCAD III will run in Linux under Wine. It's a great program, especially considering that it's free. There is also a fine support group in Yahoo.

BTW, TI's freebie spice version has made alot of progress as of recent. They used to cripple it. Looks MUCH better now. It has the potential to give LTSPICE a run for its money (er..um no money..) I dont know if it runs under linux.

Optikon said:
BTW, TI's freebie spice version has made alot of progress as of recent. They used to cripple it. Looks MUCH better now. It has the potential to give LTSPICE a run for its money (er..um no money..) I dont know if it runs under linux.
Do you mean TINA by TI? I found it is not very user friendly.
How about ORCAD PSPICE? My university recommends this.

bananasiong said:

TINA is user friendly IMO.

Orcad PSPICE is low on my list of good spice tools.

bananasiong said:
Orcad Pspice is a major pain in the ***. It's all I have at work, so it's what I use, but it is SERIOUSLY non-friendly at times. I'm looking into Multisim from NI as a replacement.

@ the OP, I would also suggest SwitcherCAD III from Linear Technologies. It looks very capable and people seem to like it.

Optikon said:
TINA is user friendly IMO.
Really?
I've opened the example from the TINA directory, but couldn't find any 'simulate' button :D. I think I have to spend some time on it.

Opticon said:
Orcad PSPICE is low on my list of good spice tools.
Hardwire said:
Orcad Pspice is a major pain in the ***. It's all I have at work, so it's what I use, but it is SERIOUSLY non-friendly at times
What is ***?
Seems not many people like Orcad, maybe my college is outdated :D But I still need to learn it.

And yes, LTSPICE is user friendly.

bananasiong said:
Seems not many people like Orcad, maybe my college is outdated :D But I still need to learn it.
Well good luck with it if you want to simulate anything more complicated than a voltage divider. Will you be instructed how to use Orcad or will you be left to your own devices to figure out how to simulate circuits with it? If it is part of your curriculum and you have an instructor to help you get through it's many mysterious problems, then maybe it won't be too painful.

It's not that your college is outdated, but rather that Orcad is quite a popular circuit simulator in industry. So they figure you should learn it. And even though it's a pain to use sometimes, it is pretty powerful and good to have on your resume.

User interfaces and the perception of "easy to use" or not is a matter of taste really. What one person finds easy & nice, someone else will hate. This has alot to do with their own personal experiences and is highly variable. Thus, I try not to judge the utility of a piece of software based on the user interface. If I can learn it (or don't have to) and it is useful, I like it. These days, things like finding a simulator button just aren't worth squabbling over.

OTOH, if I find that it takes me too much time to learn a piece of software, I don't attempt to use it. Is sushi a "good" food? I hate it.

Hardwire said:
If it is part of your curriculum and you have an instructor to help you get through it's many mysterious problems, then maybe it won't be too painful.
We have to learn it by ourselves T_T.
Opticon said:
Is sushi a "good" food? I hate it.
I'm working part time in a japanese restaurant, I don't really like raw fish :D

bananasiong said:
We have to learn it by ourselves T_T.

I'm working part time in a japanese restaurant, I don't really like raw fish :D
Not all sushi has raw fish. My wife loves sushi, or, more exactly, California rolls. I eat it when she gets a craving for it. I like it OK, but would probably not order it if I were eating alone.
EDIT: What does this have to do with Spice? Hmmm... Wasabi is kinda spicy...

Last edited:
Ron H said:
Not all sushi has raw fish. My wife loves sushi, or, more exactly, California rolls. I eat it when she gets a craving for it. I like it OK, but would probably not order it if I were eating alone.
EDIT: What does this have to do with Spice? Hmmm... Wasabi is kinda spicy...
:D Opticon started it, for an example :D
Why some simulator is called SPICE and some isn't?
Many people like wasabi over here, but I don't. Some eat wasabi with the sushi, but not eat the sushi with the wasabi :D

bananasiong said:
:D Opticon started it, for an example :D
Why some simulator is called SPICE and some isn't?
Many people like wasabi over here, but I don't. Some eat wasabi with the sushi, but not eat the sushi with the wasabi :D

My wife LOVES wasabi. The spicier the better. She loves sushi as well. Needless to say, when she craves sushi, she has it with her friends and I make other plans. She even likes these things:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_egg

:eek:
ICK!

SPICE stands for "Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis"

These days, companies with their own versions & modifications of the original algorithms add prefixes to the name. Pspice, Ispice, BSpice.
Put a nice (or terrible) GUI around it, and you've got something to sell to the public.

As far as I can tell though, they all use the same fundamental algorithms for solving.

My original point with the food stuff was, what some people like, others hate. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

bananasiong said:
We have to learn it by ourselves T_T
Well, good luck. If you have any problems with it, start an Orcad Pspice thread with your questions and maybe I can help (surely others can, too). I'm currently using Orcad Capture PSPICE A/D 15.7.

Optikon said:
My original point with the food stuff was, what some people like, others hate. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
Actually, I'm willing to bet that Orcad is an exception to that statement. The program literally has a bad attitude and its wrath can strike at any time. From disappearing schematics, to phantom convergeance problems, to complete non-functionality. I swear they made chimpanzees code half the application in order to save money.

Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but a blind man will still hate a slap in the face.

That century egg!! Wiki says that it taste like cheese :eek:
I'm okay with it, take a small piece I'm okay. But It doesn't make me to ask for it :)
Thanks for the SPICE info :)

Hardwire said:
Well, good luck. If you have any problems with it, start an Orcad Pspice thread with your questions and maybe I can help (surely others can, too). I'm currently using Orcad Capture PSPICE A/D 15.7.
But I'm using 10.3

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
Ya, that's right! Recently the company just got a new employee, cute lady admin :D. But my friends say she is not as pretty as I said :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back