Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do you order your stuff in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazylegsmurphy

Hey All,

I couldn't find anything on this topic, but I noticed a lot of you are from Canada. Could you please post links to places where you order your stuff from?

Specifically I'm looking for IR LED's, Microcontollers, and such. I have found a few places locally here in Calgary, but they're not the best price, nor do they have everything I need.

Thanks,

Jeff

Not from Can, but are you near these guys?
**broken link removed**

Ya, I actually ordered my PICKit 2 Starter Kit from them today.

I can order MCU's from them, but they want a minimum order of like 250, plus they don't seem to have IR LED's and such.

If i place my order with Digikey or Newark before 8:00PM then it is delevered to me the next morning. They have "everything".

Oops, I just noticed Digi-key isn't Canadian.

What is the other costs involved in ordering from them (shipping, duty, etc). As well, has anyone had issues with the stuff getting stuck at the border?

Like I said, if my order is placed before 8:00PM then it is delivered the next morning.
Maybe they have warehouses in Canada. Customs and duty are included in the fair prices. The delivery charge is reasonable. There is a minimum charge.

Oops, I just noticed Digi-key isn't Canadian.

What is the other costs involved in ordering from them (shipping, duty, etc). As well, has anyone had issues with the stuff getting stuck at the border?

No worries about that--they have distribution in many countries worldwide. Just order from Digi-Key Corporation - Canada Home Page. Also, you can register on digikey.ca and they'll send you a free catalog, which is about the same size as the Vancouver phone book.

Torben

Digikey.ca is my favorite for small volume purchases. From my experience nobody gets parts to me faster with less hassle and from a better selection than Digikey and I like their search engine very much too. Their site is fast, they always link to the right data sheet, and you can quickly browse based on price using the search engine. Thats a great feature. They also have good telephone support for the rare occasions that I have wanted to make a change to an order already placed. I really love choosing my parts one day and having them delivered to me the next.

Some have a legitimate problem with their minimum order threshold to avoid the handling charge, but I always find it easy to add some long needed lab supplies to top up the smaller orders. The shipping charge of Can$8 is cheaper than gas to the local stores.

Its worth adding that there are no other shipping related fees besides the $8, that is no duties, no brokerage, nothing else. The parts are effectively ordered from in Canada from your point of view, regardless of where they actually come from.

Last edited:
Digi-Key Canada - next day delivery if you order by 8pm. Invoiced from Alberta (I think) so no PST for rest of Canada. Higher prices on small volumes, gets better with volume. Handling $6 below $32, flat shipping $8 via next day Purolator. No brokerage fees.

Newark Canada - next day delivery if you order by noon, but they have not been consistent, sometimes slide. They use UPS, which is worse service than Purolator, driver sometimes does not even come while website says nobody was there to receive while there is always someone. $12 flat rate shipping. Good pricing even on small volumes. If you are from Ontario, expect PST. No brokerage fees.

Future Electronics - good store, but unreliable. One day they have an item, next day is gone from their website. I was able to get some of greatest deals from them. Ships via Fedex, 2nd day, from Quebec, no PST for non-QC.

dipmicro - my shop. We do almost weekly orders from Newark, so if you just have small order and do not mind waiting a bit email me Newark SKU (commision is 20%, minimum $2 per line). We ship CanadaPost from Ontario, it's between 2-3 days in Ontario up to 2 weeks in NF. Expect PST if from Ontario.

I occasionally use **broken link removed**, flat UPS shipping between $10-$12 includes brokerage, but they charge $10 handling per line if the subtotal (per line) is less than $30. Sometimes they may ship order from several warehouses without letting you know and charging additional shipping.

Also use Mouser before, good selection, somewhat good pricing, reasonable shipping to Canada with included brokerage.

Btw. when ordering from US, there is no duties on most electronic components, but you might get charged brokerage (approx $5 flat via USPS, couriers charge percentage from the shipment value mostly above $20). When using courier from US, it may be better to choose more expensive brokered door-to-door service than cheapest ground (it will not be so cheap after brokerage).

Last edited:
FYI Alpha Wire at Mouser seems to be half the price of Digikey. I found this out AFTER ordering a bunch of spools and could no longer return them. Even after currency exchange rates and brokerage it still beats Digikey by a fair margin. Man was I pissed. I've been waiting for nearly a year now to need a bunch of stuff from Mouser so I can get more wire since orders need to be bigger from Mouser than Digikey to be worth it.

Last edited:
It appears the minimum order is now not applicable at Digi-Key.
My orders are normally above what i thought was the minimum.

**broken link removed** scroll half way down to conditions of order item #8.

Anyone place a small order lately?

Bottom of page reads
DATE OF LAST MODIFICATION
May 23, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back