Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do you get your parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

i normally go to radio shack or my electronics box for electronic type parts when i have a project to do but the guys at the radioshack here are starting to up their prices so i am looking for other stores (online/offline).

digikey.com is great when you have to order many parts but their S&H is really high.

i was wondering where all you guys get your parts.

thanks

Newarkinone.com or .ca is also good. I sometimes go to Electrosonic (e-sonic.com) on the other side of my city or order from them on-line.
Active stores (active123) have a wide range of new parts and Sayal is a good local chain of surplus electronic products and parts.
I go to 2 local Chinese stores for some stuff but haven't been to RadioShack for years. Are they still around? My local ones have closed.

Jameco.com is the best site

ill be ordering from them again :D

their prices are really low and its easy to find what you need

i went onto radioshacks site and figured i would need to spend about $100 for my mixer but when i ordered with Jameco i only had to spend about $40

really happy with this site :D

thaks for telling me about it

Radio Shack has also been sold in Canada. It is now the "Source by Circuit City".
And they are 99% Consumer Products. Almost No Parts.

chemelec said:
Radio Shack has also been sold in Canada. It is now the "Source by Circuit City".
And they are 99% Consumer Products. Almost No Parts.

They were called Tandy in the UK, but they ceased trading many years ago!.

Maplin are tending towards consumer products now as well, less and less parts and kits, and more and more finished goods :cry:

Adam said:

I do too, they are probably the cheapest supplier, usually at least 30% cheaper than RS. You pay for the lower cost in the smaller product range, but if you can live with the smaller range then your laughing. Also Rapid is much more usefull for someone starting out, as they don't have a stock range too large to choose anything, their catalog and website is far more user friendly than RS's and Farnells. If your after a particular part, Rapid is well worth a try as well.

I also use Farnell, they have the range of RS (well more in some cases) but prices like Rapid's.

If you are in Ontario like me, Go to SAYAL electronics.

I checked two other competitors out. A local shop called Nu-tech electronics, and RadioShack (now called "The-$ource") :lol:

RadioShack is (like the other guys said,) way too expensive, and is going on a decline in terms of part availability.

Nu-tech had only cashiers who can't (or could hardly) speak english, plus their shelves are messed up (capacitors mixed with resistors), and it is somewhat more expensive.

Sayal seems to have the best so far. Also, they have expanded 2 stores, and plan on bringing in more stuff. They now bag their parts so that shopping is alot easier. Each bag is about $1. Since I have been there so much, I probably have collected well over 200 bags from buying all sorts of components. And the better thing is that they can order an item from their online inventory and have it to the store in a day. This was the only store where I bought an LCD from!

And check out these prices for 1/4 watt resistors:

Sayal Electronics: 10 cents each (10 in a reusable bag for $1)
Radio Shack (while it existed): 18 cents each (5 pack in a piece of cardboard for 89 cents)

And look at this for 1 watt resistors:

Sayal Electronics: 25 cents each (4 in a reusable bag for $1)
Nu-Tech: 39 cents each
Radio Shack (while it existed): Let's not go there

The only drawback is that Sayal is in another city, but it is well worth the trip. Go to sayal.com for their website.

Hi MStechca,
I bought some name-brand, only 1 years old 5V/2A switching power supplies (wall-warts) at Sayal for only $2.50 each. They are perfect.
They replaced their defective cheap bag of 10 ultra-bright blue LEDs with a bag of their best and more expensive ones. :lol:

Radio Shack is back!

Yes, Radio Shack in Canada was bought by Circuit City.

However, Radio Shack here was just a brand name operated by an independant company without ties to Radio Shack USA. And guess what? A recent court ruling gave the right to Radio Shack USA to operate under the Radio Shack name in Canada. Turns out Circuit City didn't buy the rights to the name in Canada. How stupid is that?!

So Radio Shack will be back, and they most probably will drive "The Source" Circuit City stores right to bankruptcy. They're even worse than the noriginal RS stores! And Radio Shack is such a common household name, I bet it is still the first that comes to mind for your odd batteries needs in Canada.

**broken link removed**

while living in germany, i used to buy 'sampler bags' of mixed electronic parts in conrad electronics. for about 20-40DEM you would get a large bag (a really large one) with all kind of components. this would take care of all common components like resistors capacitors small signal transistors diodes, bridge rectifiers etc. although there used to be more expencive parts mixed in too (various ic, power transistors, power resistors, eproms, led displays...).

while living in st. louis, missoury, my favourite local shop was gateway electronics.

one of y friends lives in cleveland and he says he can't find one he likes... i guess i'll have to find it for him...every place has stores like that... :)

RadioShack is coming back?
Why?

Did they at least break even by selling their own brand of batteries and kids' toys?
Did they and can they compete with Future Shop and BestBuy by selling radios and TVs? And now compete with The Source?

Years ago I went to RadioShack every week to spend the fortune of a couple of dollars for parts. They don't sell parts anymore in Canada.
About 5 years ago I spent $20.00 on a couple of micro RC cars, then saw the same ones cheaper in a food store.
About 1 year ago I went to my local RadioShack so they could order a part from the US (with free shipping if I picked it up) but the store was gone.

If they come back I don't think I will go there. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back