Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do I look for fixing a ghosting monitor problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berniedd

I'm just an electronics hobbyist, not a service tech. Can anyone tell me where I should start troubleshooting my eMachines CRT monitor? It shows a slight out of focus at the bottom right of the screen and there's also a slight "ghosting" with an orange color of a part of any object displayed there. For example, any icons at that part of Windows' task bar exhibit an orange smudge of their borders to 1 mm beyond to the right and below their borders. The problem used to start only 15 minutes after turn on, but now it's present all the time. Other than that, the monitor is fine. Thanks for any help guys.

berniedd said:
Yes, there are no magnetic fields nearby.

But have there been at one time?, most monitors don't automatically deguass, they usually have a button you press, or even a menu option to deguass. It could be worth trying that - otherwise, as far as I can tell from the description, it's probably the CRT?.

Yes, no previous magnetic field exposure. It's been in one place only for more than a year now, till this problem surfaced.

are you using just the standard video cable, or do you have an extension on your video cable?

I have a monitor at my shop, which nessecitated an extension on the video cable ... being the cheap person that I am most of the time, I just grabbed an 'el cheapo' video cable, and now my display has ghosts. one of these days I'll upgrade to a proper shielded and choked cable, but for now, it gets the job done

ok, if it's not an extension cable giving you a problem, maybe your colors have gotten out of alignment somehow? Most monitors don't have an option to align the colors, but all three of my Sony Trinitron (from last century) have the option... if your ghost is orange, maybe your blue color has shifted somehow, and needs to be lined back up... this is going to be in your OSD Menu somewhere, if your monitor supports it - consult your manual for the specifics.

Nope, all I'm using is the RGB cable it came with. I'll consult the OSD once I get it back together. Right now it's in pieces on my table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back