Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where do I begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanHatch

Hello, I have a good background in basic electronics, but where do I start microcontrollers? What do I need to get started? What do you guys recommend as far as programmers and chips?

Most people will suggest getting started with either the Microchip PIC or Atmel AVR. I am partial to the AVR due to the availability of gcc for the AVR. Other than that, both parts are programmed by the parallel port in circuit and provide nearly the same assortment of integrated peripherals. There are certainly more reference designs for the PIC. From an engineering standpoint, I attempt to choose the most appropriate part considering the requirements in terms of connectivity, power, EEPROM, and development time.

I also recommend the AVR. The only drawback to the AVR right now is the relative lack of instructional material. However, there are enough good resources to get going. A very good first step would be to visit: **broken link removed** where they have some beginner tutorials that will explain everything you need. Also, the book "AVR: An introductory course" by John Morton is a good beginner level book. The development software for either PIC or AVR is available free from the respective manufacturers. All you need after that is to buy a uC or two, and either buy or build a programmer ($79 for the STK500 for AVR, which comes with a couple different AVRs). Oh yeah, and some bench time. :wink:

Since no-one said it I will say it :wink: Get a PIC16F84A that is the all time way to start with the PICs.... you will find TONS of info and knowledgeable people willing to help.

There are a whole bunch of software, hardware and projects already available not to mention books, websites, etc. Free assembler compiler, cool Basic Compiler....etc.

Just my 2 cents

Ivancho

i have also just started pic programming

got some free sample pic16F84A's from microchip and i am finding
**broken link removed**

Extremely Useful

Kane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back