Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I get some PIC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixy

I live in Vancouver. I want to start some PIC projects. I am experienced in motorola HC12(but no longer has the kit).

Question is where can I get some PIC for a reasonable price. I might also be interest in an evaluation board.

I know a local electronic distrubution office that sells parts, but they sell like 1000 units at a time. I kind of know the distrubution manager, should I ask for some samples?

By the way, do you guys use MPLAB?

**broken link removed**

Carries PICs cheaper, and has lower shipping costs added on.

There are so many PICs out there. I don't want to read all their datasheets. Any recommendation on which ones I should get? :D

phoenixy said:
There are so many PICs out there. I don't want to read all their datasheets. Any recommendation on which ones I should get? :D

Have a look at my tutorials, the 16F628 is a good start, then the 16F876/7 for more advanced hardware options and more I/O - it's easier to stick to FLASH/EEPROM based PIC's.

The 18F452 is also fun to play with though...

It's 8x8 hardware multiplier really speeds up projects that require a lot of multiplications and the fact that you can play around with the stack on 18F's allows interesting things alwell...

thanks for the responses guys

Goodwin: if I end up not buying an evaluation board, I will build some boards from your tut :D

phoenixy said:
What about programmer, which one do you guys recommend (and where is the best place to buy it)?

The P16PRO40 is one of the most popular, you can download the circuit from my website - they are available from many sources. DIY Electronics in Hong Kong sell kits for them, which are available through many retailers.

:idea:

As far as programers go, I use the Picstart plus (microchip.com) for development and a hi-lo all-pro for production.

The advantage of the Picstart is that it is supported by Mchip both in firmware updates and functionality in mplab (my preffered, free, ide).

Nigels programmer may be supported under mplab, I am not sure....

Hope this helps

Matt(Pic progger) said:
:idea:

As far as programers go, I use the Picstart plus (microchip.com) for development and a hi-lo all-pro for production.

The advantage of the Picstart is that it is supported by Mchip both in firmware updates and functionality in mplab (my preffered, free, ide).

Nigels programmer may be supported under mplab, I am not sure....

No, MPLAB requires a programmer with an on-board processor running software that interfaces with MPLAB.

The advantage of parallel port programmers is the low cost, the PicStart+ is rather expensive.

:wink:

Yes, sorry I didn't make that bit clear the picstart-plus is a bit expensive, I always used to use a david tait stylee programmer with ic-prog http://www.ic-prog.com/

This s/w is very good, and the authour, Bonny, is a top bloke! and even better is free :wink:

Anyway I went to a PIC "sell you loads of pics" seminar and got the picstart thrown in with the price. I still think that for ease of use and firmware updates (now flash with mplab 6.x and an update PCB (£17) if needed, all new picstarts have the flash pcb) the picstart is hard to beat, if a little slow!

Not sure about Nigels programmer, never used one, sorry.

Matt(Pic progger) said:
Not sure about Nigels programmer, never used one, sorry.

I don't actually do a 'programmer', just the software WinPicProg, but I include the circuit for the P16PRO40 (an enhanced David Tait style programmer) on my website as I get loads of requests for a circuit.

Incidently, ICProg includes the old 16 bit version of my disassembler, so I've always suspected he based it on my old 16 bit code (which I released when I stopped 16 bit development).

Unfortunately the author of ICProg no longer answers emails, presumably he got swamped by including serial port programmers as well as parallel port ones?.

ICProg is a fine program, and supports more chips than WinPicProg, but isn't as fast - WinPicProg is generally considered the fastest PIC programmer software. As you say, the PIC Start+ is particularly slow!.

Nigel,

I see that the PROPIC2 programmer is the same to your programmer (I saw the schems). So may I use your programmer with ICPROG? Because ICPRO works quite good under XP, and you said winpicprog has some problems with XP?

So I should choose David Tait hardware of ICPROG to program for your 16PRO40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back