Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find rotary encoders in C.A, USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, actually I don't live in the U.S. But a couple of friends of mine from there who are not really into electroncs are looking for some rotary encoders as shown below:
rotary_encoder-jpg.24240

Those are simple encoders which would function like the mouse wheel. They don't have any rotation limit, which means you may keep turning them in either direction forever. Besides the 3 basic pins for encoding, there are 2 additional pins connected to an interal switch under the shaft. And it's activated by pressing the shaft.

Can anyone offer a clue of where to find such things in Northern California? Mail-orders will be fine as well. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Rotary_Encoder.jpg
    Rotary_Encoder.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 2,043
Last edited:
Grayhill makes them. You can order them from Digikey.

Last edited:
hi,
Lots on EBay

**broken link removed**

Alps have them
there is an ALPS site in china too
Perhaps following links help you
**broken link removed** this is a general list

**broken link removed** this is for specific model

Funny, you are in China asking for friends in CA, where I am in CA and bought one on E-bay from China;) Seems to be a loop there.

**broken link removed**

Anyway I bought one from Sure along with some other stuff. I was able to buy just one but this listing is for bunch. Sure seems to be a good outfit and has always shipped promptly and accurately to me after about 5 orders. Takes about 10 days normally. I was able to wire it into my Aurduino, inputs 2 & 3 for channels A & B. I turned on the soft pull ups for inputs 1 & 2 and grounded the encoder common terminal.

I found an encoder software library function on the Arduino playground area and modified it to just keep main program sending an integer count value via serial output to my PC terminal program. I enabled interrupts on the Arduino (any change on inputs 2 or 3) and had it increment or decrement the count integer depending on direction of encoder change.

Seemed to work great. Coupled with the momentary push switch built into this encoder, it could make a pretty simple user interface. Rotate encoder knob to change selection choices or menu items sent and displayed to a small LCD. When desired menu item is reached push the encoder knob in. What could be simpler ;)

Lefty

Last edited:
Grayhill makes them. You can order them from Digikey.

hi,
Lots on EBay

**broken link removed**

Alps have them
there is an ALPS site in china too
Perhaps following links help you
**broken link removed** this is a general list

**broken link removed** this is for specific model

Cool! guys, glad to see your replies after a short night's sleep. Thank you all! And I will forward this thread to my friends.

Funny, you are in China asking for friends in CA, where I am in CA and bought one on E-bay from China;) Seems to be a loop there.

**broken link removed**

Anyway I bought one from Sure along with some other stuff. I was able to buy just one but this listing is for bunch. Sure seems to be a good outfit and has always shipped promptly and accurately to me after about 5 orders.......
Lefty

Hey Lefty, sure it's kinda funny to hear that :D . Actually I live only a couple of blocks away from the major electronic component store in Beijing, and I'm personally in possession of a few encoders now. Yet I didn't know if all of these fellows were willing to make a purchase from China, so I came here to ask for a domestic dealer.

Rotary encoders are brilliant designs, one successful example I have which resembles your description is the rotor found on Futaba T9CHP RC transmitters. It's quite easy to toggle between those items and make selection by pressing just with one finger never lifting off the button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back