Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I find 5-pin connectors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shosh

Is there a place i can find a 5-pin connector? Ones with female sockets. I'd need an entire cable too plug into some headers.
The type that would connect to a header on a pcb board. I need them at 100 mil spacing.

And wonder what the proper term for the part is. I just usually call them connectors.

also bought this lcd screen View attachment 62630

any good ideas how I can attach this to a breadboard?

Last edited:
Well you are going to need to solder a ribbon cable to the terminal points on the LCD panel ... Unless you are going to mount the panel more directly to the main board??
Check through Mouser, Element14( Farnell ) RS components. Etc and choose a connector suitable to your needs
The are many many to choose from

Dave

Re:LCD

First confirm whether it is 100 mil (0.1 ") or 2 mm pin spacing. Mine was 2 mm.

I soldered a pin header to the LCD and then used a ribbon cable to another pin header in my breadboard. Regular pinheaders work, but you may want to get ones that have longer pins for the breadboard.

Now, how do you go from 2 mm to 2.54 mm (100 mil) spacing? Mini-hard drives, like used in notebooks, have 2mm spacing. My local PC store had adapters for plugging those into regular pin connectors. I salvaged mine from an obsolete device. Pre-made cables will have two-row connectors. So, the final configuration was:

1) 2mm pinheader soldered to LCD (20 pins)
2) 2mm to 2.54mm (0.1") adapter for hard-drive
3) 40 pin ribbon cable -- one position may be keyed. Use the row of 20 that is not plugged.
4) 2.54mm pinheader in breadboard

John

Last edited:
This is what I use. Note that on the first picture the 2 modules may not be aligned properly. I did not work on that for a long time and I would need to refresh my memory.

If needed, the pins can be moved inside the plastic holder before soldering to make a good contact with the breadboard. (second picture)

Last edited:
What about the ribbon cables to connect to the headers? Where am I able to find those? I need to be able to connect a decade switch to a breadboard somehow

This is what I use. Note that on the first picture the 2 modules may not be aligned properly. I did not work on that for a long time and I would need to refresh my memory.

If needed, the pins can be moved inside the plastic holder before soldering to make a good contact with the breadboard. (second picture)

are you able to break off some of the pins on the header? My LCD has 16 contacts and I usually see 20 pin headers

What about the ribbon cables to connect to the headers? Where am I able to find those? I need to be able to connect a decade switch to a breadboard somehow

are you able to break off some of the pins on the header? My LCD has 16 contacts and I usually see 20 pin headers

thats it, thats what i needed.

couldnt find it on jameco or digikey. probably because I didn't know the correct search terminology for these cables.

Is there a company that can custom make these cables for you? I swear I've heard of one.

If you look up IDC (insulation displacement connector) connectors, you can make cable assemblies yourself. All you need to do is press the wire between the V-shaped contacts. A special tool is sold for doing that, but you can also do it manually with a tool made from wood or plastic -- even a small screwdriver.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back