Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where Can I Buy Full Deep Cycle Batteries Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some online stores where you can purchase full 12v deep cycle batteries of various sizes (different amphour ratings).

Many that I see on say Amazon is dual purpose, having cold cranking amps and deep cycle. I only want a full deep cycle battery since I'll be draining/recharging the battery quite a bit.

I've checked most of my local stores but most only have starting batteries or again that dual purpose. I'd like the available selection of batteries to at least range from at least 50 amphours up to 100+ amphours.

Thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but couldn't figure out where to put it :)

Last edited:
Search for GOLF CART battery suppliers in your area.

They are QUITE heavy, so shipping costs depend on how close to your home the warehouse is.

Not sure where to find them, Possibly search for UPS batteries. Problem is that shipping may be very expensive.

Search for GOLF CART battery suppliers in your area.

They are QUITE heavy, so shipping costs depend on how close to your home the warehouse is.

Yeah that's why I've been trying to find a local retail outlet that sells them. I'll be using the battery/s on a RC lawn mower, so I may have to aim for batteries that are in the range of 40amphour to 50amphour range.

Do you have an Interstate Battery Warehouse nearby. They seem to carry a good line of AGMs as well as flooded-cell deep cycle.

Fifty amp hours is no problem, but you better start thinking in horsepower hours if you're going to chew on a lawn. I'm afraid you're going a little light on the power, but then Tennessee lawns might be a lot thinner than Florida lawns. Just an idea. Consider how long it takes you to chase a 3 or 4 hp gasoline engine around your lawn.

Fifty amp hours is no problem, but you better start thinking in horsepower hours if you're going to chew on a lawn. I'm afraid you're going a little light on the power, but then Tennessee lawns might be a lot thinner than Florida lawns. Just an idea. Consider how long it takes you to chase a 3 or 4 hp gasoline engine around your lawn.

Yes that's true, however, like you stated the conditions for everyone is unique. In my case, my yard isn't that large, but large enough to have an interest in building a RC lawn mower :), and the grass doesn't usually get that thick unless it goes un-mowed for 2 weeks or so. But in the worse case senario, I may have to do as you stated and supply more amphours, but we'll see when the time comes.

I was just now out in the back trimming trees and thought, I bet the lawns in Tennessee are real thin right now...this being December! And I remember Indiana, in a shady lawn, you could cut that with a reel mower. In the worst case scenario, you can recharge the battery and mow the other half tomorrow.:)

I was just now out in the back trimming trees and thought, I bet the lawns in Tennessee are real thin right now...this being December! And I remember Indiana, in a shady lawn, you could cut that with a reel mower. In the worst case scenario, you can recharge the battery and mow the other half tomorrow.:)

haha very true. The mower I'm using is an electric mower that has a 6.5 amp motor, but I'm not sure how many watts/volts it uses yet until I receive it in the mail. So till then I can't really be too specific on how many amphours I need my battery to have. I'm hoping it's 12v motor :)

6.5 amps of 120 volts would be about a horsepower. 6.5 amps of 12 volts would be about a large sewing machine motor. I think you're going to receive a 120 volt lawn mower. Save you money for a really long extension cord.

Last edited:
6.5 amps of 120 volts would be about a horsepower. 6.5 amps of 12 volts would be about a large sewing machine motor. I think you're going to receive a 120 volt lawn mower. Save you money for a really long extension cord.

I doubt it, as the version above mine is a 24v cordless lawn mower: **broken link removed**
The one I'll be getting is: **broken link removed**

So at most, it would be 24v.
So doing the math, if it was 24v, it would consume around 156 Watts (= 24v x 6.5Amps)

So if I connect two 40Amphour batteries in series to reach the 24v requirement, the amount of time I'll be able to mow the lawn is: 40amphours/6.5Amps = 6 hours, which is way longer than what I need.

I'm not sure if my math is right though, so correct me if I'm wrong by all means :)

Please see page 3.

haha I was just looking at that right before you posted it. Thx

Alright, so since it is 120v, then this is how I would determine how long I would have to mow if I used one 12v 110Amphour battery:

For my battery:
P = V x I
So,
P = 12v x 110Ah = 1.32kWh

For my lawn mower:
P = 120v x 6.5Amps = 780Watts

So the amount of time I'll have to run it would be:
1.32kWh / 780W = 1.70 hours...about 2 hours, maybe a little less since I would use an inverter ?

It takes me at least 20-30min to cut my yard, so that's again plenty of time.

Again, let me know if my math is wrong though, as I currently have a 110Ah battery, which is dual purpose but can be used in the mean time until I have the funds to purchase a full deep cycle.

Last edited:
The math looks good. Be careful when buying an inverter. They are famous for overstating their ratings. I was looking at Amazon.com and their customers howl about the lies, and then post the correct rating! Check it out.

I get the 140AH Interstate batteries for my projects.

You have to AT LEAST DOUBLE your estimated capacity.

If you think you need 10AH to keep your project running for 10hours, remember you should NEVER discharge a Deep Cycle battery past 50% without some serious life shortening backlash.

So you want a MINIMUM of 20Ah, but 25 woild be MUCH better and give you more for your money. You will spend more over 5 years on a lesser rated battery due to too deep of discharging.

Standard car "starter" batteries should not be discharged less than 20-25%. without serious battery health consequences

If I want a battery to give me 10 hours of 1 amp work a day, and only charge it once a week, I need 70AH. That does not mean I need a 70AH battery.
I need a MINIMUM of 140 AH. But If I could get a 200AH battery, I will go far longer with no battery problems and/or replacement.

Read the info at batteryuniversity.com

Quite good info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back