Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where can I buy a powerful laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I have an 80 foot tall tree, a 65 ft tree and 4 trees that are 55 ft tall. Can't cut them down there are power lines, houses and thing in all directions. No way to drop a tree without hitting something. A licensed tree climber wants $1500 to cut them down 1 piece at a time. He cuts all the limbs off as he climbs up then cuts the top off 1 piece at a time as he climbs down.

I guess I could wait for a tornado and big storm to blow them down and smash the house and vehicles, insurance will pay for it but too much hassle do deal with that mess.

I need a laser that can burn the tree limbs off 1 by 1. Where can I buy a laser to do the job?

Seriously? o_O

To be honest a laser with that level of power will cost you a whole lot more than $1500.

I suspect that just the licence and training required to legally own one that big would be far in excess of $1500 itself.

I built a sun power beam. This is not a laser but the beam is parallel light like a laser. I used a 20"x28" Fresnel lens. I ran the light through 2 glass lens to straighten the light into a straight beam then reflect it up with a mirror. I experimented to find the focal length of the Fresnel first. Then I built a holder for the lens and mirror. The beam goes up and it is very hard to figure out where it is. Once I find the location of the 5000 degree burning spot and get it on a tree limb it wont stay because the sun is moving.

The beam on the ground under the lens burns my stumps the 5000 degrees hot spot moves about 6 inches in 2 hours and burning a 1" wide slot all the way across the stump. The focal length is about 4 feet. If I reflect that off of a mirror 40 feet up into a tree the 5000 degree hot spot moves 10 times faster. 10 times the focal length = 10 times the speed. The hot spot moves about 1" in 12 minutes to fast to burn wet green wood on live trees. I need some type of motor drive thing to move the mirror to keep the beam on the tree limb that I want to burn off. I did some experiments with this several years ago all the trees are taller now and one tree is about 80 feet tall. I don't want to build a laser. I was hoping to buy or rent a laser ready to use.

A laser will probably be easier just aim it at a tree limb then come back an hour later to see if the limb fell off yet. I use to have a dead tree in the yard that needed to come down. I called the power company 3 times they finally came and decided to use a bucket truck to cut it down starting at the top. It is easier to cut the tree than repair fallen power lines. Insurance company said, if a storm blows the trees down we will pay for damage but we wont cut the trees down a storm may never blow them down.

Fresnel3.jpg

Last edited:
THe most effective homemade 'heat ray' I can think of is to take a common 250 watt HPS bulb and drive it with a 1000+ watt HPS ballast and stick the bulb in a tube with a highly reflective interior (polished aluminum tubing would be best) and the right set of lens on the open end.

I made something like this back in college 20+ years ago but did not have the correct lenses to make a good tight beam with it but it certainly was more than sufficient to start wood in fire from a few feet away! :woot:

It's just a thought. :cool:

Early on in my small town, I met a young man who did line work for the local power company. He moonlighted cutting down trees. He charges much less than 10% of what you quote for a single tree that he has to take down in pieces. He puts on spikes, climbs well up the tree, cuts the top off (above where he is standing!) and either lets it fall to the ground or uses a guide rope to let it down. If there is any place to fell the tree at all, he can fell it to within a few inches of a line. To help with the latter, he shots a leader over an upper branch and then follows that with rope. Ties that into a noose with a slip knot. A little tension on the rope by my tractor ensures a precise fall.

If you can't find a lineman willing to moonlight, then get some spikes and try it yourself.

It seems to me that dropping burning branches from >40 feet or so up may qualify for the Darwin contest. Besides, once all the branches are off, what are your plans for the big pole that remains?

John

A high power laser goes very far. Far enough to kill or blind the pilot of a airliner so far away that you can barely see it. D0n't doo it.

buy a chainsaw, find a kid (around 17-18) offer him $400 and tell him you will deduct $100 per branch that dosnt land on the X you draw. then tell him he has an hour or he looses $50 per 30 mins over the time.

Worked for me when my dad got me to cut some trees. NOTHING cut's trees like a skint kid :D

A 1000w light beam is a good idea. I have about 6 light bulbs from old slide projectors I need to check see how many watts they are. Maybe some other type light would be better. It all seems like too much work to build something to do the job. The professional tree climber has spikes on his feet and a chain saw on his hip and ropes and clips. He can cut the tree limbs and let them fall or attach the limbs to a zip line and make them fall some place else. $1500 for a days work = $187 per hour for his work. $1500 it 2 weeks pay for a lot of people. I know a 64 year old woman that only makes $800 a month working at the school cafeteria, she turns 65 in Feb and will make $840 a month on Social Security, her rent is $450 a month. How do people live on such low pay. The school system tells the workers if they file for unemployment during the summer when school is closed for 2 months they will not be hired back. That is NOT right. This is evil. Now that I am retired I don't have much money either, good thing my house, vehicle and wheel chair are paid for. I should look for a cheaper tree climber.

The laser sounds like a good way to get a visit from Homeland Security. :rolleyes:

Back when I did wildland firefighting, we called trees like that Widow Makers. When I first read this, I thought it had to be a joke, but after seeing the guys giant Spark thingie in another thread I realized this guy was serious. I think a laser of the power you would need would cost in the range of over $10,000.00

Even a homemade CO2 gas laser would cost a lot.

I dont see how a laser would give you any better control than a chainsaw?? the branch still has to come down, way better to get an INSURED tree surgeon in ;)

I hope everyone understands the French expression "deja vu" ...

I recognized the picture but couldn't recall the thread.

I recognised the request for a "Goldfinger" type laser.

JimB

I have an 80 foot tall tree, a 65 ft tree and 4 trees that are 55 ft tall. Can't cut them down there are power lines, houses and thing in all directions. No way to drop a tree without hitting something. A licensed tree climber wants $1500 to cut them down 1 piece at a time. He cuts all the limbs off as he climbs up then cuts the top off 1 piece at a time as he climbs down.

I guess I could wait for a tornado and big storm to blow them down and smash the house and vehicles, insurance will pay for it but too much hassle do deal with that mess.

I need a laser that can burn the tree limbs off 1 by 1. Where can I buy a laser to do the job?

here if any trees are a hazard to power lines, the utility company is responsible for clearing them. One can be fined here for not paying the munipality here to evaluate your tree cutting plan for $500 to see if it fits with their city forest management responsibilities.

I have a similar situation with neighbour's 6 maple trunks dwarfing our backyard with millions of helicopter seeds that must all be plucked after growing in spring. I may build myself a 10 ft extension to my 20ft ladder and add steps to trunk and climb up and cut them down.

Aiming a 10 foot long CO2 laser into a tree could cause the fire department to come out with some helpers. At least they have the ladders and cherry picker.

Last edited:
Not my music. Just found the clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back