Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where are these people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Happy New Year, everyone! :)

I've been noticing lately that a lot of our esteemed members haven't been around for a while. Members such as HiTech, Oznog, mneary, dknguyen, and moderator mechie. I was curious where they might have gone. Does anyone here know them, and what may have happened to them? Also, feel free to post names of other members you haven't seen around lately. Perhaps someone who reads this thread will know.

Regards,
Der Strom

Last edited:
There's a moderator named mechie? I didn't even know that! Curious to see the responses to this thread.

Being relatively new to these forums and having been here about two years I have noticed a few of the regulars gone that were here and very active when I found this place and settled down. Forums are a funny animal. I am still somewhat active in a computer enthusiast forum I was active in for over 12 years. However, of late I am not there as much. Hell, I even still moderate in that forum. I should really resign my mod status so someone else can take over that puts more time in that forum.

Forums can be time consuming and for one with the time very enjoyable. However, over time peoples interest change as well as lifestyle. New things and life's changes may demand more time in pursuit of other things leaving less time for ETO and other forums. Me? Hell I will be 62 next month so demands of my time other than work are pretty minimal. My wife and I do things together but I still enjoy the time I have for the forum. Hell as I type this she is amusing herself with some games on her computer. Just how we relax. Anyway as peoples lives change the frequently move on.

I think it was MikeMI I remember and have not seen for awhile. Lived in CA and flew his own Cessna 182 I believe. He was maybe a retired professor but not sure. I haven't seen him for awhile. Anyway in conclusion, people just move on to other things I guess or other interest. Unless I decide to croak I figure to be here awhile so if I drop off the map you can assume I am dead. :)

Ron

I think I was just talking with MikeMl on a thread fairly recently. It's strange, neither he nor HiTech have a "last activity" date shown. I wonder why it might do that?

I understand that sometimes things come up and members can't come online as often. I am just wondering if anyone here knows one or more of these members, and if there was a thread that I missed (or something like that) that explained why he or she would be away. This might be a good thread for people to "check in", if they have been away for a while :D

I dunno, I guess I just chalk it up to the nature of the forums. :)

Ron

When I first came to this group, I was sick and spent my convalescence researching people's questions. I surrounded myself with all my old college texts and answered questions all day. Now, I log on 4-5 times a day just to break the monotony of being interred in a cube. MikeMI was one of my favorite posters, sharp and always with a simple solution. Too bad he's been MIA. I'm glad to have a few knowledgeable people who I can still learn from.

If you go to the posters profile and click Find All Posts then you will see their last post.

MikeMI was Sep 11 2011
HiTech May 4 2011

I know it's not the same as Last Active but it gives an indication.

I have noticed that I am not as active since I became single again. Too busy having fun doing other things.

Mike.

hi,
IIRC didn't HiTech have a dispute with another member/s and he posted he had enough and was quitting the Forum.???

MikeMI contribution to the Forum was first class, I would like to know why he is no longer posting.??

I believe he also used to be an active member of AAC, has anyone from that Forum heard from him.?

E.

His AAC profile says he was last active on April 6, 2011.

I sure hope he's ok. He's helped me quite a bit since I started posting here.

hi,
IIRC didn't HiTech have a dispute with another member/s and he posted he had enough and was quitting the Forum.???

Not that I remember. I do remember Harvy42 ( I think that was his name ) post that he was quitting.

MikeMI contribution to the Forum was first class, I would like to know why he is no longer posting.??

Yeah, I liked reading his posts. I assume he just got busy with his life and all. I remember one of his last posts was about a motor home he purchased. Guess he just rode away into the sunset.

MikeMI was a sharp dude, had a pHD in engineering, pity we lost his postings. I think he got tired of the ingrates that never appreciated his efforts. I mean he helped a lot of newbs that never even said thank you. I know that unappreciated effort can wear on ones generosity. At least for me anyways.

Sometimes a simple thank you would be nice...

Last edited:
MikeMI was a sharp dude, had a pHD in engineering, pity we lost his postings. I think he got tired of the ingrates that never appreciated his efforts. I mean he helped a lot of newbs that never even said thank you. I know that unappreciated effort can wear on ones generosity. At least for me anyways.

Sometimes a simple thank you would be nice...

Amen to that.

In some ways thats why I have dropped off as well on answering questions. I see far too many knowledgeable regulars give a solid workable solution to a problem just to be totally ignored or blown off for their efforts, or worse gets trolled or arm chaired saftey lawyered, while the OP goes chasing weak nonsensical or highly impractical solutions that some half wits mentioned.

It wears on you I know that much. :(

Why you people didn't mention our blueroombill is my honest question? :)

Ah yes, Bill as well. Sorry, I didn't get around to checking the profiles of every single member here :D

Thanks for adding him to the list, transistor495 :)

Amen to that.

I see far too many knowledgeable regulars give a solid workable solution to a problem just to be totally ignored or blown off for their efforts, or worse gets trolled ... .

It wears on you I know that much. :(

Agree. Lately, I spend 5 minutes helping someone, then the next 3 - 4 days fighting off trollish replys to my posts. Hardly seems worth the effort.

Last edited:
In some ways thats why I have dropped off as well on answering questions. I see far too many knowledgeable regulars give a solid workable solution to a problem just to be totally ignored or blown off for their efforts, or worse gets trolled or arm chaired saftey lawyered, while the OP goes chasing weak nonsensical or highly impractical solutions that some half wits mentioned.

Agree. Lately, I spend 5 minutes helping someone, then the next 3 - 4 days fighting off trollish replys to my posts.

I have noticed quite a bit of that going on.

I often see a thread starting and think to myself "this can only end badly", and it does so often.

But hey ho, such is life!

JimB

hi,
I am pleased others have noticed this as well, its really quite annoying, you spend ages working with an OP to get a working solution, then in the final stages someone throws a spanner in the works.

It seems that some members avoid posting original idea's/circuits and wait until some else tries to help the OP and then they start nit picking at the 'helpers' ideas/circuits rather than posting a working solution of their own.

E.

While I agree that offering help in a forum (any forum) can be a thankless task most people are aware of that going in. This forum seems to catch a large number of homework (schoolwork) questions which is OK. However, I do get annoyed with a I need it yesterday attitude and as mentioned no "thank you".

As to other help issues I will make something clear right now. If I begin to help someone with what I feel is a viable solution to their problem and someone else sees a better solution I absolutely expect them to jump in with their suggestion(s). Sometimes being a member of a very good forum requires a thick skin. It's a forum people.

Furthermore you guys can't piss me off enough to get me to leave, so there! :)

Ron

Last edited:
As to other help issues I will make something clear right now. If I begin to help someone with what I feel is a viable solution to their problem and someone else sees a better solution I absolutely expect them to jump in with their suggestion(s). Sometimes being a member of a very good forum requires a thick skin. It's a forum people.

I don't think anyone has issues with counter/alternative solutions. While we sometimes debate various solutions, that's not really what people comlain about.

Furthermore you guys can't piss me off enough to get me to leave, so there! :)

Ron

I always enjoy reading your contributions, though we sometimes disagree.

Last edited:
I know what you guys mean, so I just want to say that I'm sorry if I've ever done that to any of you, and I do thank you very much for all the help you have given me within the past year and a half. It has been great to get to know you guys, and I feel like a part of one big happy family :)

Thank you (everyone!) for all that you do!

Regards,
Der Strom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back