Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Where are some applications of disc shaped heatsinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gholamghar

Hello
I am a Bsc student in mechanical engineering and i want to work on heatsinks as my honors project,I need to know where are some uses and applications of disc shaped heatsinks such as this one:

**broken link removed**

flow enters from center of disc and exits from radial channels that are embedded inside the disc.It is really important for me to know where these kind of heatsinks are used and any help is of great appreciation.
Thanks in advance

You would use them anytime you want to cool a device using a liquid coolant, which implies a high power device. Don't see that they have any particular application, other than that.

As long this specific design looks to be from the untested ones , there is no active device in the industry that uses it.

Where did you got the info about it ?
Did you made it, by your self ?

This design looks poor , so to be used at any task.
I was for more than 10 years at computer modifications , mostly air cooling and stuff.

Last edited:
I think it would be useful for a CPU thermal module if it were designed properly, CPU's don't heat up over their entire surface area uniformly, the math modules get quiet hot where something like the sections that contain cache memory heat up uniformly where some bus or peripheral modules won't heat up much at all. Using precision machines inlets jetting the coldest coolant directly at the hotest spots and allowing the coolant to flow out to the rest of the chip for tertiary cooling would increase effciency, but considering the size of modern CPU's it would require a very thin walled super high precision heat sink module form factor fitted to the CPU. The basic premise being that wherever the inlet is located is going to receive the most cooling for two reasons, one the coolant is coldest at that point, and since it has to disperse throughout the rest of the module it's also flowing extremely fast and at a high volume at the inlet point relative to the flow through the rest of the module (small inlet area high outlet area and volume it's a simple Venturi effect), if you wanted multiple inlets the fluid dynamics (and precision of construction required) would get VERY complex.

some types of disc heatsinks are used in laser diffuser sinks w/ coolant, heatsinks are not allows used just for electronics. sometimes we have to look "outside" the box. :)
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back