Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

When not to reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can relate. I asked a question about a week ago and no one replied. :(

hi vne.
Back tracked your dead post, found that it referred to post #14, one of mine.:eek:

Do want to reopen your distance post.?:)

vne147 said:
If no one replies at all then it's worse because it implies no one cares or is listening.

I was listing with my quad hex inverter problem when you helped me and yes you did all of it. I have worked around Engineers for a long time, I have 2 good hands a just enough knowledge to make it happen.

The OP's that are in question for the most part have more knowledge about Electronics than me, all I can do is google. But, at least I put the Google in my post and try to start them in the right direction.

I tend to get the attention of a Senior Member and they step in before the OP in question is led astray or goes away put off.

vne147 said:
(teach a man to fish...)

Teaching is showing and yes spoon feed, until the OP get's the teeth to eat. Afterward they might just eat the spoon.

3v0 has helped me on a few occasions in chat when he understood what I was saying and knew I was ready for the answer.

I'm grateful to all in this thread. Sometimes, Mohamed can't go to the Mountain. Sometimes the Mountain came to him.:)

Last edited:
I was listing with my quad hex inverter problem when you helped me and yes you did all of it. I have worked around Engineers for a long time, I have 2 good hands a just enough knowledge to make it happen.

I remember this. I thought it was an OR gate you were testing. Oh well, doesn't really matter. I recall that we talked back and forth for a while first. I could see from the conversation that you wanted to learn and that you weren't just looking for the solution. I didn't mind writing the step by step for you becasue I enjoy helping people when they are willing to return my efforts with equal effort. Or at least a little gratitude. It also feels good to return the favor for all the help I've received.

I remember this. I thought it was an OR gate you were testing.

I stand corrected. See what I mean.

I like the avatar. I would like to do that someday. Freaking awesome.:D

Last edited:
torben and eric. While I do agree the for some obscure searches (mainly rare part numbers) Google sometimes can't find the answer, but the bulk majority of 'one post wonders' can be completely answered in the first dozen links found by typing in the EXACT same words the user posted in the forum. Google is NOT that difficult to use.

Last edited:
Teaching is showing and yes spoon feed, until the OP get's the teeth to eat. Afterward they might just eat the spoon.

Yes, why is it so hard to teach somebody? Why be here if you are not here to learn and/or teach? I see no reason unless (as I suspect) some enjoy the frustration of others b/c perhaps they have been frustrated in their life. It is better to lift your fellow man than to watch him drown.

I am very visual, if I see an image and am told WHY each component is there and WHAT it does I can learn fast. But vague posts that says to run a diode in one part in conjunction with resistor 3 to make 0.7V at pin X and then later in the same post to run no diode and resistor 4 instead to make 5v really throws somebody like me off.... I have a pro telling me in the same post to do two COMPLETELY different things .. ranging from 0.7v to 5.0v ....

as of yet nobody has taken the time to really help me IMO, when I say that I mean a schematic with an explanation of why different components were chosen to end up with result X is worth more than a thousand words, it would be like an entire chapter.

I must say that while i didn't get my answer in the form I could really grasp what was going on Mbarazeen, Roff and 3v0 have been really helpful and polite. Audio-guru was somewhat helpful yet had a rude tone IMO.....

I do not understand the secrecy. and the comments about teaching a man to fish... very true. But help him learn to fish, do not berate him while he asks how to tie a knot in the line to fasten the hook properly then laugh when a fish gets away with the hook...... a simple diagram showing the proper way to tie the know and explaining why it is tied this way works wonders....

Online I have meet some of the nicest people ever, when I knew nothing of web design I asked about php and some of the nicest people ever taught me, did so without hesitation and question. They were gracious enough to provide sample code when I knew nothing and explained what that code did. With their help I was able to write my first script and I learned how to write other scripts I needed and insert and call information from a database.
Most of all i remember my teacher.. or helper. Nogdog, sure there were others but it was that he taught me something new, didn't belittle me for knowing nothing at all and was very gracious and helpful.

I think several here could learn a lot from him about teaching and respect.

Joe, in my opinion take it or leave it.

I first came to this site needing some help just like you I was put off. But, if you see things as I do from their perspective after being here for so long I would reduce any inflammatory remarks or feelings. You can learn here along with the rest of us if that is your true intent.

They have spent long hours to know and become someone of influence.

They are here for Tomorrows future Engineers and will support them as needed. We provide an element of diversion that leads others to think.

This is the place where things can happen, do not disparage anyone for leaving their legacy's to those who will create tomorrows inspiration and growth.

If we fail to understand the width depth and height of Electrical Engineering it's not their fault. I am still where you are so don't feel alone.

Sometimes I get help and sometimes I don't.

I can tell you this much. My next few books on my list will be from the suggestions offered from those who support this site.

I would suggest you do the same.

Sincerely, kv

The thing is Joe I and many of those here where somewhat like you at one time or another to some degree. In my learning experiences I had my butt firmly handed to me a few times before I learned to keep my attitude in check. Instead of childish name calling and beratement of those people who knew more than me just satisfy my own ego I listened to what they said and learned from it. After that I set out to not only learn what they knew but set the goal to greatly surpass them in knowledge and experience so that one day I was the one who got on them for not knowing what I knew.;)

I like helping people but I wont help those who don't give me the impression that they are truly wanting to learn. If you ever re read my posts with an open mind and compare them to yours I use a little more diplomacy and tact to get my point across but I don't sugar coat it to make anyone feel good either also I don't drop to childish name calling and beratement in a unnecessary defense when I am being questioned about somthing or corrected as you do.

Thats where we split on your threads. I have no ill will toward you in any way but I will be dammed if I will let some mouthy punk with an unwarranted ego and attitude run around here while I have anything to say about it. Your dropping to petty name calling because your ego got bruised is why I got after you the way I did and I have nothing to apologies for because of it. Its also why I made full well sure you found out why you are not getting the help you seek.

If you want my help or the honest help of others here there is a simple way to get a clean slate and start over and almost everyone here has done so at one time or another including me.
Go to the chat area and explain yourself and your actions then apologize for your behavior. It shows maturity and respect and never holds any negative views from anyone for doing so. :)

Being here and being apart of this community is just like real life and having a real job. Show the correct maturity and attitude and most everyone will do almost anything they can for you. Continue on showing the wrong attitude and you continue to get exactly what you have gotten so far.

you don't like helping people, you like stroking your ego.... and you show it in your first paragraph. I couldn't care less whether you help me or not.

After that I set out to not only learn what they knew but set the goal to greatly surpass them in knowledge and experience so that one day I was the one who got on them for not knowing what I knew.

See, isn't that an arrogant and downright pathetic outlook and treatment of others? It certainly is.
I will do one thing though, and that is re-read my posts. I highly doubt I am going to apologize to you though. I have been online for 5 years and not ONE time have i ever called anybody a dick, EVER. Consider yourself blessed to be the first (or at least somebody on this forum was, and I think it was you).

I would have just preferred you had never replied to my thread(s). You're so full of **** it's not even funny.

torben and eric. While I do agree the for some obscure searches (mainly rare part numbers) Google sometimes can't find the answer, but the bulk majority of 'one post wonders' can be completely answered in the first dozen links found by typing in the EXACT same words the user posted in the forum. Google is NOT that difficult to use.

Agreed. Except we weren't talking about one-post wonders--they're a special case of the problem. Re-read the posts you're responding to and I think you'll find the topics are a) people unskilled in using search engines at all or unsure of what terms to use, and b) attacking how someone else chooses to spend their own free time helping others.

In my opinion it's better to offer help and if it goes nowhere, well, that's my time wasted--not yours. I think you'd have to really stretch to accuse either of us (or 3v0, or in fact most of the regulars here) of spoon-feeding idiots who don't want to put in any effort.

Torben

Not that it is anyone's business, but I happen to know that 3v0 devotes a lot of his free time teaching HS kids about electronics in his local community, and he does this without any expectations in return, not even a salary. I also know that 3v0 spends an inordinate amount of time assisting others with their projects and I am just amazed that anyone would have the gumption to question how this person or anyone else for that matter should spend their forum time.

Geezo...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back