Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's with this cap marking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

I have some mylar caps I bought from AllElectronics surplus awhile ago (they no longer stock them) that seem to be labelled ".022K". AllElectronics sold it as 0.022uF.

Now I'm a bit perplexed by this. Why give a value of .022 and then multiply by 'K'? Why not give a straight "22"? I'm used to the number being picofarads. 22 pF is not 0.022uF, it's 0.000022uF. That's not the value AllElec gave and I think the cap's size would be a bit large for 22pF.

What's the correct way to read that vaue?

Oznog said:
I have some mylar caps I bought from AllElectronics surplus awhile ago (they no longer stock them) that seem to be labelled ".022K". AllElectronics sold it as 0.022uF.

Now I'm a bit perplexed by this. Why give a value of .022 and then multiply by 'K'? Why not give a straight "22"? I'm used to the number being picofarads. 22 pF is not 0.022uF, it's 0.000022uF. That's not the value AllElec gave and I think the cap's size would be a bit large for 22pF.

What's the correct way to read that vaue?

It's printed as 0.022, and that's what it is, 0.022uF, as it was sold to you. The 'k' doesn't refer to the value at all, if you search the forums someone explained previously what the letters all mean.

And since I have them so handy, here they are again. Print, cut and clip to your bench or paste into your handy shop notebook.

B = ±0.1pF
C = ± 0.25pF
D = ±0.5pF
E = ±0.25%
F = ±1.0%
G = ±2%
H = ±2.5%
J = ±5%
K = ±10%
L = ±15%
M = ±20%
N = ±30%
P = -0, +100%
S = -20, +50%
W = -0, +200%
X = -20, +40%
Z = -20, +80%

Dean

And here's a thread on the Nuts & Volts forum where this topic is posted. The topic appears at least bi-weekly somewhere!

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back