Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

(~) whats the difference betweeen PIC18f4550 low & High power operation mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamith20xx

:D

Hi all ,

I am having critical issue about the supported voltage PIC18f4550 .

1) Are there two pic18f4550 microcontrollers which are having two INPUT voltages as 3v and 5 v or is it two operation modes in the same microcontroller?

2) If there are two microcontrollers in the above mentioned chip, will it be any significance affect to the program what we are feeding to it? ( I mean in configuration wise)

i am asking this because i got to kind of thing from my friend... What he said is there are two products for each microcontroller as high power thing and low power thing...

But i read the data sheet of pic18f4550 but it says only,

• Single-Supply 5V In-Circuit Serial
Programming™ (ICSP™) via two pins
• In-Circuit Debug (ICD) via two pins
• Optional dedicated ICD/ICSP port (44-pin devices only)
• Wide operating voltage range (2.0V to 5.5V)

clarify this small issue as soon as posible...
thnx a lot for ur coments in advance :D :)

Last edited:
ALL right already.

The XXFXXX and XXLFXXX are different parts. You could have figured this out several ways including reading you own post.
there are two products for each micro-controller
That is why no one answered you.

There are not two versions of the same micro in one chip. You either buy the F or LF version.

HTH

Please stop SCREAMING it is impolite.

There is also a speed limitation based on the input voltage. Check the datasheet, but the max speed drops as the voltage drops below 4.5v on the LF.

3v0 said:
ALL right already.

The XXFXXX and XXLFXXX are different parts.

Hi Pal,
thanx for the reply... what do u mean by the above 2 components are different parts? Is it different parts in same microcontroller?:confused:

thnx for the advices ..:)
tc and have a nice day..;)

You can order/buy/sample the 18F4550. Its a 4550 made for 5v operation.

Or you can order/buy/sample the 18LF4550. Its a 4550 made for a wider range of operating voltages, like 2.5v-5v or somesuch.

They are two different chips.

You can order/buy/sample the 18F4550. Its a 4550 made for 5v operation.

hey does that mean that we have to supply exactly 5v input electricity to work it properl..?

Or you can order/buy/sample the 18LF4550. Its a 4550 made for a wider range of operating voltages, like 2.5v-5v or somesuch.

can we supply 3v as input voltage to work it in properly full functioned way?..

I am asking those questions because the other chips of my circuit has to be supply 3v and if i use voltage level converters the circuit will going to be huge .Since i am going to make the portable mp3 player which use SD cards, the product should be portable.

so plz let me know the recomendation whether i would be able to use 18LF4550 for this project

Thanx alot for the replies..:)

chamith20xx said:
Since i am going to make the portable mp3 player which use SD cards, the product should be portable.

so plz let me know the recomendation whether i would be able to use 18LF4550 for this project

Thanx alot for the replies..:)
Based on your line of questions it sounds like it might be a harder project for you than you think.

Your best chance is to simply copy someone elses design verbatium.
Here's one that uses an 18F452
http://www.techdesign.be/projects.htm

And here's the Microchip thread on the 18LF4550
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
Based on your line of questions it sounds like it might be a harder project for you than you think.

Your best chance is to simply copy someone elses design verbatium.
Here's one that uses an 18F452
http://www.techdesign.be/projects.htm

And here's the Microchip thread on the 18LF4550
**broken link removed**

hey thanx for the info.....Here is the project what i am going to follow as the source of my project.. instead of the ATmel chip am going to use PIC18f4550...
please feel free to see this http://instruct1.cit.cornell.edu/co...ects/s2007/cd247_maw72/cd247_maw72/index.html

and the circuit digram of the project is with it... can u please go through it and let me know that we would be able to do using PIC18f4552 instead of using 4550 for this project as the PIC... :) ur help is appreciated..;)Thanx

hey buddy.

you r kid dude. u have recently started work on pic and u havnt done on atmel 89c51 before.... buddy listen 1st use pic18f4550.. you can suply any voltage level in this ranage and there would be no problmz cuz it handle all voltages of this level.But u should apply 5v cuz other circuit compenets may not work tht much efficiently like sum led banks if u use on ur PCB board or other components.. mostly full 5v level should be used.

2ndly if u want to giv some 3- 3.3v.... der is noi need of any kind of level converts. in every IC der is always +-.5vand 1v flexibility ..in all cases... noi need to spend money on these.. u just need to use LM7805 using in ur circuit next use simple diodes 2 diodes in path of 7805 will do the job to 3.3v level....if u use 3310 lcd or sum thing or if u wana apply low level.. this will save ur moneyy... along with that u may have a jumpet to bypass that in case u dont need them...

der are 10thousand ways of doing things dude... and dont be afraid of these simple things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back