Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the best way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desp

To learn electronics without going to college (no time, or money). Maybe some books, or electronic kits, etc. I really want to build a robot but don't know enough yet, so I'd like to learn all of the fundamentals then I could research the specifics. I'm thinking I'd like to learn stuff like servos, stepper motors, radar, gyroscopic balancing, logic circuits. Then stuff like computer interfacing and simple programming. I have a lot of ideas I'd like to try but not the knowledge to try them.

hello desp
me too i was ask this question from who that have experience in electronics. and he said me that it is easy just start from basic fundamental. i am sure you will find many ways from you asked for it.

You have all of the information you need in the statement of your question. I'll explain but first let me offer some thoughts. For most people the most efficient and effective way to learn a subject like electronics is a formal program at an institute or university. It's possible but likely less efficient, to learn a rather significant amount on-the-job around other practitioners. On your own, unless you are a very special person, it's unlikely you'll get to the same level as you might with a formal program. I don't know what your end goal is.

With all the above said, my advice would be to select an area of interest because electronics is such a broad and complicated field. You've done that already.

There are numerous books out there - you know that. The problem is which ones are right for you but that's not to hard to manage. Go to your local library and see what's there. Look on-line for explanations and tutorials. There are a number of video courses available - they aren't free but you may be able to find something used. I'm a licensed radio amateur and at various flea markets someone will be selling, sometimes giving away, excellent learning material including these courses.

Your mention of kits - get your hands-on and tinker. It's a lot more fun and eliminates some of the burden that can come with learning. Finding parts and thinking of something simple to build can really get in the way of learning at times. A kit helps with that.

Radio Shack used to publish some really nice books. To the experienced the might seem awfully basic but usually in the front is some simplified explanation of the basics and some helpful construction information. The circuits are pretty crude but they demonstrate the very basics. A favorite of mine now is Paul Scherz "Practical Electronics for Inventors". My ARRL Radio Amateurs Handbooks are great too - as most amateurs don't have formal educations in electronics.

Hope this helps.

stevez said:
Radio Shack used to publish some really nice books. To the experienced the might seem awfully basic but usually in the front is some simplified explanation of the basics and some helpful construction information. The circuits are pretty crude but they demonstrate the very basics. A favorite of mine now is Paul Scherz "Practical Electronics for Inventors". My ARRL Radio Amateurs Handbooks are great too - as most amateurs don't have formal educations in electronics.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! I went to Amazon just now, found the book, read the first 10 pages then bought a used copy.

Keep away from rip-off shops like Craplin or Radioshaft, stick to ebay and ripping components out of old electronic items on the tip for all your component needs.

Desp said:
To learn electronics without going to college (no time, or money). Maybe some books, or electronic kits, etc.
More often than none, you get out of it what you put into it. A formal learning program will encompass a wealth of information in a logical and structured manner along with labs to prove the theory. Doing this on one's own is possible only by the most determined and diligent ones. It's also nice to have an instructor present to further enlighten you as well as answer questions. Most importantly, if you ever want to persue a career in the field, employers will want real documentation such as diplomas or certificates rather than one's "word" that they are self-learned.

Also, digikey, farnell newark, ebay, craigslist, and google are your best friend in hands-on practice of electronics in addition to going through a formal education program.

HiTech said:
More often than none, you get out of it what you put into it. A formal learning program will encompass a wealth of information in a logical and structured manner along with labs to prove the theory. Doing this on one's own is possible only by the most determined and diligent ones. It's also nice to have an instructor present to further enlighten you as well as answer questions. Most importantly, if you ever want to persue a career in the field, employers will want real documentation such as diplomas or certificates rather than one's "word" that they are self-learned.

I never said anything about wanting a career in it. I just have a lot of ideas of stuff I want to build, a basic idea of how it should be built, but not the actual knowledge to proceed with it, generally.

Do you mean you just want to pick up what you want or need to know to build or fix some electronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back