Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats the best place to purchase solar cells for hobby projects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigbasicq

I tried Amazon and generally searching on the internet but didn't find convincing stores to purchase solar cells. I'm looking to build simple projects like a NiCD battery charger. How do I find local stores that stock such electronics?

Edit: I'm in California.

Last edited:
Solar garden lights are cheap (free, depending on your neighborhood). Sometimes you can find them in the $2-$3 range on sale, considering shipping, much cheaper than just the solar cells.

Solar Panels-The Electronic Goldmine
Solar - Surplus Shed
**broken link removed**

A little hint... raw solar cells are thin, fragile, and tricky to solder leads. They are usually 0.5 volts each, so you will need to solder several together... Panels are a little more expensive, but well worth the cost difference.

This BGMicro cell is GREAT

This guy is awesome:

**broken link removed**

In full sunlight, it gets about 4.5V @ 90mA. They're also in a hard epoxy. You can hit it with a rock and do no damage at all.

Not a bad price.

This guy is awesome:

**broken link removed**

In full sunlight, it gets about 4.5V @ 90mA. They're also in a hard epoxy. You can hit it with a rock and do no damage at all.

I like BGMicro, been using them for years, and check the new stuff often. That 'New Lower Price', has been new for several years... I've not bought any of those, as I'm pretty sure I have some similar from garden lights. It is a good site though, ship promptly, never had an issue, so can't comment on customer service. The descriptions are accurate, they have some awesome sales deals, sometimes interesting items that go quickly. One of my favorite surplus sites.

look at SALE! Giant CDS Cell Assortment-The Electronic Goldmine
they have lots f cheap solar panels and they are in Arizona.
Shipping is pretty quick.
as for FRYS - refuse to go there as they sell returned merchandise as NEW
My brother had a mother board that he purchased, couldn't get it working so he returned it.Picked up a different board and got it installed.
Went back several days later and the mother board he had returned was back on the shelf (he had marked the returned board) as new.

If going to Arizona be sure to have your GREEN CARD or what ever to show you belong here.
I sure hope the new law they have stays put. If the Mexican government treated their citizens better then we here in US of A wouldn't have as many financial problems.
I will get off my apple crate now

I was wondering where do you guys purchased solar panels and in what cost. I am thinking of buying a 1000watt solar panels but only have limited information bout solar panel and it’s usages in the daily life like the operation of solar panels and it’ maintenance. Can someone give me ideas or menu for understanding the functionalities of solar panel before purchasing it.

This link seems a good read explaining sol;ar panel specifications. One KW is a large chunk of power and you do not mention a voltage requirement? Also, the best source is a function of your location.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back