Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's the best method to take a video of a scope trace, including graticule?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello my good friends :)

I would like to create YouTube videos with my 'scope, and since I have two VERY decent 1080p webcams (Microsoft LifeCam Studio and Logitech C920), I'd like to find the best way to shoot the whole kit and caboodle, less any glaring or flaring of the traces. I'd like the viewers to see my 'scope too, and to see the dials and widgets AND the trace... I know it's possible - I've seen stills and videos of others doing it.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received and pondered over :)

Thank you all.

Camera should have manual focus. Otherwise the graticule could make that the image, laying some mm behind would come blurred or out of focus.

"Some mm" ??

mm as in milli-metres.

Older scopes had the graticule on a plastic light filter which sat in front of the tube.
Looking at the picture in the other thread, your scope is one of those with the graticule etched onto the front of the tube, so that will not be a problem.

There is still the thickness of the glass on the front of the tube, the graticule is on the outside of the tube, the phosphor with the trace is on the inside.
I have no idea how thick the glass is on the front of a scope crt, I have never broken one.
So whether the glass is thick enough to be a problem, I do not know.

JimB

You'll need to experiment with the amount and direction of ambient light as well as the graticule and trace brightness to be able to properly see everything without glare.

Cruts is talking about an illuminated graticle, some 'scopes have them some not, if so then theres usually a brightness control, your camera on a tripod should work well, you just might need to esperiment with ambient lighting as well as the 'scope settings, 'scope traces sometimes look brighter on a cam.

I've just got an "Orange San Diego" Intel Android phone, and have been practicing trace shots:

1795970_10152198549697937_1631008575_o.jpg

try placeing a little bit of tracing paper in front of the flash bit ;), if using a flash unit that has a swivel head, then aim the flash up and bounce it

well mostly you wouldn't with a tripod, but sometimes you get no choice. slow shutter speed/no tripod a phone camera that wont let you turn off the flash. then mt advice is good, also in the pic it looks like some kind of flash was used, until I looked closer, and can see its probably the beam and a slow speed on the camera or sweep. When I take scope shots I do normally use the flash tho, even with a tripod, on my scope with dads camera (Nikon D7000 or D3), I get a much crisper image.
So I can see why you say what you did. But try playing with it a little, sometimes bounced flash or diffused flash works well. I only know because I only take pics of electronics or scope for here :D.
If you get better shots without a flash with your camera and scope, stick with that, but others reading this that cant get a good result your way, have another option to try now.
And respect wasnt needed ;) It was a valid question :D

ok a bad example but one I grabbed quickly

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/scope-osc-jpg.81560/

I used wrong lens and hand held, the whole thing was did in a rush, and the screen type is different, but look at the frequency and see the small steps in the trace?, I couldn't see those with my eye, they are there because I was able to use a very fast shutter rate, as I used the flash. Me and dad dabble a small amount with photography, mum is really the one I should ask, she is a great photographer!! mainly portrait stuff and wild life, but she has won loads of comp's

I can take pretty good shots of a DSO (different technology) with just a camera, but a tripod would seem to be essential. I'm not sure about the worthwhileness of a ring light on the camera. I do have trouble with lighting when trying to do macro closeups of anything and I know a ring light and tripod would help.

well to be fair, it was mentioned about seeing dial settings etc, and the pic that was posted of the crt trace is very dark! A tripod isnt so essential with a very fast shutter.
Macro depends on the subject. Still and none moving then a decent manfroto tripod and long shutter is good. Moving then ring or better yet external flash diffused is better. And just for the record I am mainly talking about DSLR as that is what I have grown up around.
Mum sells alot of work on shutterstock

Use a lower shutter speed. I have made various Oscilloscope video's with good success with a Panasonic 1080 camera.
If the shutter speed is too high you end up getting part of the sine wave.
see my video attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back