Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what's a good, small pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashersmasher

hi i was wondering if there are any pics that are programmed in basic or C, have an internal oscillator, can be programmed effectively with a homebrew programmer, and are relatively small. i want to make someone a birthday card.

Almost any modern PIC could work, fitting in the card with speaker, battery, switch will be the trick. Of course you'll have to build, program & debug it in time for the birthday.
Stay away from JDM programmers, good programmers are not that expensive.

mashersmasher said:
hi i was wondering if there are any pics that are programmed in basic or C, have an internal oscillator, can be programmed effectively with a homebrew programmer, and are relatively small. i want to make someone a birthday card.
The PIC 10F2xx chips are in a DIP package which is about 6.5mm wide x 9.5mm long x 3.5mm high, or in a 6 lead SOT23 package, which is about 3.0mm wide (overall) x 3.1mm long x 1.3mm high.They have a precision internal oscillator. They can be programmed in cct., using assembler, C or basic. (I believe there is a free C compiler, which will work for these, included in MPLab.)

The only thing I'd get rid of is the 'home brewed programmer,' unless it is based on an ICD2, or PICkit.

Last edited:
mashersmasher said:

No pic is programmed in basic or C. Its only a decision to make a compiler for that particular microcontroller to faithfully convert a language into its equivalent assembly opcodes and operands. If enough people push say like CCS to make a compiler for 16F84, assumming not already, at the same time called it quits on the entire 18F, 24F, and 30F familiy then CSS will jump to their feet and get coding. Would this make the 16F84 superiour to all its cheaper, faster, more peripheral endowed followers. No

Judge a chip by is core and not is whimsical third party kits and compilers.

donniedj said:
No pic is programmed in basic or C. Its only a decision to make a compiler for that particular microcontroller to faithfully convert a language into its equivalent assembly opcodes and operands. If enough people push say like CCS to make a compiler for 16F84, assumming not already, at the same time called it quits on the entire 18F, 24F, and 30F familiy then CSS will jump to their feet and get coding. Would this make the 16F84 superiour to all its cheaper, faster, more peripheral endowed followers. No

Judge a chip by is core and not is whimsical third party kits and compilers.

well i'd rather not program assembly and i already know basic and some C. i don't really care what core it is as long as it will can control some led's in a birthday card :D

BeeBop said:
The PIC 10F2xx chips are in a DIP package which is about 6.5mm wide x 9.5mm long x 3.5mm high, or in a 6 lead SOT23 package, which is about 3.0mm wide (overall) x 3.1mm long x 1.3mm high.They have a precision internal oscillator. They can be programmed in cct., using assembler, C or basic. (I believe there is a free C compiler, which will work for these, included in MPLab.)

The only thing I'd get rid of is the 'home brewed programmer,' unless it is based on an ICD2, or PICkit.

well i want to make a homebrew one because i don't feel like spending money and i have allot of parts

mashersmasher said:
well i'd rather not program assembly and i already know basic and some C. i don't really care what core it is as long as it will can control some led's in a birthday card :D

well i want to make a homebrew one because i don't feel like spending money and i have allot of parts
It is easy to spend a more time then it is worth on getting a simple (esp JDM type) working. There is no in circuit debugger which would only matter if you used a chip that supported it like most 16F and all 18F chips.

It is easy to be penny wise and pound foolish at this point.

I would like to say 12F508 and 12F509.
They are simple, cheap and easy to use.
The only thing they missing is enough pins to get the ICSP signal out for debugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back