Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Whats a friend for ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
I can find info on asking to be, or letting another member be a friend but do not have a clue what to do with all my friends once I have them. Is it like collecting hubcaps?

Maybe this was answer earlier, but searching the forum for "friends" results in a lot of posts like "friends please help me..."

I also wondered about this. I can't see any advantage in the friends system but when I get a friend request, I have to give an opinion on that poster by accepting or rejecting the request. Being forced to pass judgment at someone else's instigation is, imho, wrong.

Mike.

Last edited:
I reject all friends requests because all of them are from new posters whose post I replied to, or people who I have never seen before.

I use friend requests so I can remember how to spell their user name correctly :p

Hey dknguyen,

want to swing around to my place tomorrow, we can have a braai, then be friends...... no not that kind.
I'm definitely not into hubcabbing......understand.
At least I have one friend on this forum, but then again, I also don't quite know why, not that I have anything against the guy, but, I have very little knowledge about the chap, except from what city he is, and how much younger he is than me..... damn, I hope he's a he.
Or my wife will do more than turn of my bedside lamp.

Sleep tight boys

If they're a regular member I accept them, if not I don't accept them.

I think it's a silly idea anyway, you can't really be friends with anyone unless you meet them in real life and in a social situation.

Usually when someone needs to ask you to be their friend, they usually want you to give them something else. Like here, it's be my friend, and do my homework for me. Or single mothers, want you to be their friend, so they don't have to pay a babysitter, while they shop for a new daddy...

Friendships are something that grow and develop, or fade and fizzle. Not really you ask for, or plan on, definitely not something you go searching for.

I suppose it's difficult with this type of medium, but all the guys I've met on this forum from SA, it's almost as there is already some kind of a bond/connection.
Yet, we know nothing about each other.
I suppose it could also because, well, we're from South Africa, who expects anything from South Africa/ns.
It's like this place that could almost not exist either, and the rest of the world might not notice it's gone, in anything except politics, that is.
We don't even have our own make of car that's from here, damn that sucks.
Even the A1 GP does not want to come here any more.

I think its a great concept, I don't get spammed with friend requests, only from those who post regularly.

The whole feel of the forum is moving toward a community with all the new features imho

Maybe you can explain the advantage of having someone as a friend. Better still, explain how getting a friend request can not result in me having to pass judgment on the requester? I just can't see any positive.

Mike.

If I wanted "friends" in the internet sense--which bear no relation to the real thing--I'd prefer to use a tool which properly supports the idea, like Facebook or something, and not the somewhat pointless vBulletin friend system.

If I wanted to blog, I'd prefer to use proper blogging software, like Wordpress or Blogger. The vBulletin blogging system is not a very good example of its kind.

If I want to not have the ability to edit my posts, I'll go back to Usenet (though I can see both sides of this argument).

Since the software upgrade it seems that vBulletin has become a victim of feeping creaturism and now we have a bunch of tools which aren't really relevant to the forum and are not that well implemented. The new vBulletin also seemed to take the server to its knees fairly quickly.

vBulletin is quite good at one thing: being a forum package. The extras are not anywhere near as good and just drag it down.

@Mike: I agree. I also have a friend request from some kid I know nothing about. I'm stuck too. "Sure, you're my mate" is a lie, but he(?) hasn't done anything to deserve a simple "Get lost, kid". And yet the only options available are "Accept" or "Reject". Bleah.

Torben

Last edited:
Is it like collecting hubcaps?

I don't know if the two are similar, but when you get enough hubcaps, at least you can sell them. :D

Jeff

Torben said:
If I wanted "friends" in the internet sense--which bear no relation to the real thing
When I started the thread I was specifically talking about what one could do with friends on this forum. As in the functionality of friends.

The ignore list allows us to hide posts from people we would rather not bother with. What does our list of friends allow us to do. As far as I can tell zip.

When I started the thread I was specifically talking about what one could do with friends on this forum. As in the functionality of friends.

The ignore list allows us to hide posts from people we would rather not bother with. What does our list of friends allow us to do. As far as I can tell zip.

It just shows what a sweetheart of a guy you are. :eek:

Yup--exactly what I meant by "the Internet sense". I do have real friends on the Internet. No, really, I do.

Like killfiles on Usenet. I also don't know what the friends feature on vBulletin is for. I decided to just accept the request since he seems like a good fellow and maybe I'll find out what the feature is for.

I suppose I could just read the vBulletin documentation but that would take all the excitement of discovery out of it. :)

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back