Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What were thinking of...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
Have you ever looked at something and wondered why was THAT done? Here's a picture of a door in my kitchen (new home).

Kitchen door.jpg

What is behind the door? ;) (The door seen face on and immediately to the left of the range.)

Is it a pantry, stairway to the basement, exit, or something else? Don't feel constrained by common sense.

John

Looking to the right of the cooker (range!) there is some kind of an area for who knows what.

Does the door go directly into that area behind the cooker? Just the same as if you walked directly past the right hand side of the cooker!

JimB

And dumping hot sauce on the baby in a kitchen accident!

Baby in a red wine sauce! Mmmm...
Delicious!

JimB

PS The devil made be write that!

Canadaelk got the answer. It's a toilet.

Somehow, an image of the cook taking a short break while cooking or a guest doing the same just escapes me.

There is a second door from that toilet into an adjoining bedroom. The door to the kitchen will be walled over for privacy and the area will be filled with cabinets.

@JimB, If you are referring to the area to the right of the cooker, that is what we call a mud room. In this case, it is an entry from the attached garage. I am widening the passage way and converting the area into a pantry with additional counter space. The wall can't be removed entirely, as some utilities to the second floor go through it, and it is somewhat weight bearing.

The more I looked at that toilet arrangement over the past year, the sillier it seemed. I just can't see what the original architect must have been thinking.

John

The more I looked at that toilet arrangement over the past year, the sillier it seemed. I just can't see what the original architect must have been thinking.
UK Building Regulations require a double door (air-lock principle) between a kitchen and a toilet. Presumably no such requirement in the US?

US requires a small CFM fan for any toilet, if there is no outside window. I am not aware of any additional requirement for toilets adjacent to kitchens in residencies.

John

UK Building Regulations require a double door (air-lock principle) between a kitchen and a toilet. Presumably no such requirement in the US?

Are you sure ? I thought they had relaxed that rule in the last few years.

I thought they had relaxed that rule in the last few years.
You may well be right. I haven't checked the Regs for years.

US requires a small CFM fan for any toilet, if there is no outside window. I am not aware of any additional requirement for toilets adjacent to kitchens in residencies.

John

hi John,
As the 'bathroom' has a adjoining door to a bedroom, has it it been done this way because of any local fire regulation regarding egress from the bedroom via the kitchen.?

Eric

So far as I know, there is no code that would require a means of egress through the kitchen. In addition, the adjoining bedroom is on the first floor with an outside wall and windows. Our codes are different for commercial and residential construction regarding egress from rooms.

As for any cost savings by doing that, with or without the door, the plumbing remains the same. Location is roughly in the middle of the house, and the floor beneath it is the basement. It is a log home, so running any utilities inside the outer log walls is quite difficult, but that is not a factor here. Inside walls are hollow as is typical in most construction. The wall surfaces are individual tongue and groove siding, which will make modification and repair a bit more complicated than if the walls were plaster or drywall.

I think it is just a poorly thought out design. I posted it, because it get a little laugh every time I think about what the designer's thoughts must have been.

John

New Home, but is it a new house? Did it have a previous owner? Maybe the room was a pantry, but the previous owner really wanted a second bathroom.. And for the reasons you said ("It is a log home.."), that was only practical place for it.

EDIT: Ok, it was canadaelk that guessed "secondary bathroom". But you said only "a toilet".. is it the only toilet?

EDIT: Ok, it was canadaelk that guessed "secondary bathroom". But you said only "a toilet".. is it the only toilet?

It may be a language issue. "Bathroom" in the US can be a room with just a toilet (i.e., no bath) or a room with both toilet and bath. I suppose you could have a bath with no toilet, but that would be rare, except in an old residence. We have some colloquial terms like "half baths" and even "3/4 baths" too. A full bath is a tub, toilet, and sink. The issue is, if there is no tub and only a shower and toilet, does that equate to a bath tub and toilet? The distinction is really much ado about nothing, but can make a difference in Real Estate advertising.

Anyway, the room has a toilet and shower and was in the original plans.

The house was built in 1993, so it is not particularly old by our standards. I have owned it for the past 2-1/2 years. The home has three finished baths on the upper floors, and in the basement, there was a toilet (since removed -- the waste drain is plugged as one would do during construction) and space for a shower rough-in. I live by myself and don't really need four toilets. Three with baths is plenty, even with guests.

John

I know. It makes it easier when potty training and someone is cooking?

or

It makes it easier to dispose of old milk down the toilet without tracking it in the bedroom?

Or how about when Mr. muddy comes in from the yard/farm, he doesn't have to track the mud throughout the house.

So, he comes through the kitchen, takes a shower and dresses in the bedroom.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Probably because I could be Mr. Muddy or Mr. Greasy and will typically remove outer clothing when on the porch and head for the shower.

Now, is there a drop laundry chute in there too?

No drop laundry chute. If it were off the mud room, then it would make more sense. Many older homes in Cleveland had that arrangement.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back