Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of wireless transmitters/receiver is installed in wireless doorbells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hello

Its a long time since I posted on the forum. I wanted to know if anyone knew about the type of Wireless transmitters used in wireless doorbells. I have a project I am doing in my home to to control a new water pump we fixed and I wanted a cheap way of transmitting and receiving data. I will atleast have two stations sending data and one receiver. In both cases there are a couple of walls/ceilings between the receiver and the transmitters. I was thinking of using the transmitter/receiver used in wireless doorbells as an old one (it got lost) seemed to have good range. Buying an xbee module would make the cost too high. I need to keep it to a minimum. Can any body give me a suggestion.

Thank you

it depends on how much data you need to send and how quickly you need to send it. In fact a wireless doorbell is a good way of doing it if it is suitable. The doorbell maker will probably have sourced all the components in China and you might be able to get the whole package cheaper than buying the individual components. I used a wireless doorbell as a repeater for my house doorbell some years ago. I could never hear the one in the hallway, so rigged up the button push to the relay on the doorbell sounder and put the wireless bell box upstairs. Worked a treat - and cost about $10. I see no reason why you cannot pulse the doorbell button on and off for some crude CW modulation

I could never hear my American steel doorbell throughout my home then I saw a cheap Chinese one in the store with plastic resonator enclosures beside the vibrating bars. It was much louder and I have used it ever since.

Years ago I tried one as a doorbell. Heath / Zenith Model SL-6274. The tiny transmitter uses a single tiny 12 volt battery Type MN21. The packaging says range up to 150 feet through doors, walls and floors. Good luck on that as best case with a new battery is about 40' through one outside wall. Your mileage may vary. :)

Most of these units have the range printed on the package.

Ron

How are you proposing to identify which of the two transmitters is being received, and to avoid data clashes?

Hello

Thank you everyone for the replies. I will try to use the doorbell as suggested by simon. Also, simon, the data requirements are really not that high. I will have a couple of sensors on each of the stations so the data transfer requirement is not very high.

How are you proposing to identify which of the two transmitters is being received, and to avoid data clashes?

I intend to use a distinct request ID byte which will be sent by each transmitter with an acknowledgement of the operation performed. I will of course need tweak it to get it running smoothly and have a retry time if both send data at the same time.

I intend to use a distinct request ID byte which will be sent by each transmitter with an acknowledgement of the operation performed. I will of course need tweak it to get it running smoothly and have a retry time if both send data at the same time.

Front Door / Back Door. :)

The units I saw that allow for multiple transmitters, for example front / back door distinguish which transmitter at the receiver which then gives a choice of 150 different tunes it plays.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back