Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of smd led is this please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3141

I am trying to change the boring orange leds in my friends car stereo and want to make sure I get the right ones. This one has legs on the side and the led fires downwards through a hole in the circuit board.

I am having no luck in finding the package details so I can go shopping.

Image should be showing now...

Attachments

• smd led.GIF
    smd led.GIF
    5.9 KB · Views: 268
From the dimensions, these LEDs, when facing upwards, usually go under the name "PLCC-2" or "3.2x2.8" or something similar. They're a solid block of plastic, sometimes have a big convex lens, with two metal flap leads. If you order a "standard" one, you should be able to flex the leads so that they fit.

On a more detailed search, looks like Osram makes a LED just like that one -
LO T776-R2T1-24, Digikey (they have data sheets linked..) PN:475-1028, but they only have red,orange,green.

Things to check for: make sure the lens type is similar (most of the time they don't really have a lens, so that makes it easier), and that the voltages are compatible. Most orange LEDs have fwd voltages in the 2.x volt range, if you try to get blue or white ones with a 3V or higher rating, you'll either have to modify the current limiting resistor, or worse, get creative and add a circuit to change the drive voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back