Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What type of capacitor are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

antknee

I can only reliably identify two different types of capacitor, electrolytic and ceramic. I have two other capacitors that I need to identify. Which type are these?

The first is orange and measures on an LCR meter at 0.1uF. It is marked:-

DC 100V
EM7/TSC

The second is deep red and measures on an LCR meter at 47nF. It is marked:-

.047K..
DC 100V
PEE/TSC

Thanks,

Antknee

Attachments

• S6306982.JPG
    S6306982.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 688
  • S6306985.JPG
    S6306985.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 823
I can only reliably identify two different types of capacitor, electrolytic and ceramic. I have two other capacitors that I need to identify. Which type are these?

The first is orange and measures on an LCR meter at 0.1uF. It is marked:-

DC 100V
EM7/TSC

The second is deep red and measures on an LCR meter at 47nF. It is marked:-

.047K..
DC 100V
PEE/TSC

Thanks,

Antknee

They are clearly marked as they tested 0.1uF (.1K) and 0.047uF (.047K).

They do look like polyester film. Also they are for use in a high frequency board, around 1.6MHz. Polyproylene is often used at these frequencies, I believe, and they look similar too. Hmmm.

Can someone identify this Cap? it's 10uf, I think it is polarity sensitive, but would like to be able to look it up.

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 401
It's a tantalum. It will have 106 and it will have the voltage on it: 16v, 35v etc

Thank you, I assume the upside down L points to the positive lead.

The value is in pF, the last digit is the number or zeros to append to the preceding digits, 106 = 10,000,000pF = 10μF.

Usually the mark is the negative lead.

So do I have this photo labeled correctly or NOT?
106 is 10uf
+25 would be the working voltage -or- + lead and 25 volt???
I believe it's an M after the 25 and I can see no other markings.
When I charge it up and measure the voltage with my DVM, the voltage decays slowly if I charge it as marked in photo, If I reverse it, it decays much quicker.
Thanks,
Kinarfi

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 311
Wow, exactly the opposite of aluminum electrolytics. EDIT: Well, radial leads at least. Don't know SMD markings. Why would they do that?

I hate these kinds of things.

Last edited:
That's why you have to be so intelligent to be an electronics designer. Anyone can be a Lawyer but very few can qualify at electronics.

Last edited:
I have never thought that these caps have a polarity !! Thanks colin55.

this is the beauty of Electro Tech ONLINE

Not only is the polarity very important but a tantalum capacitor suffers from a problem of going "short-circuit" if it sees a spike.
This type of capacitor was always going "short" in Luxor TV's. It was a very good "money earner."

Thanks Colin55, excellent post, just the info I needed.
Kinarfi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back