Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Transistors to Use in AB Audio Amplifier ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Hi, I would like to build a Class AB Audio Amplifier using NTE 243 and 244 Darlington pair transistors. Will theese transistors perform well for Audio Signals ? If not, can you please provide a part number for TO-3 style Darlington transistor...

Note: My load is less than 3Amps.

Thanks

NTE are expensive replacements for ordinary less expensive TIP or BD series transistors. Their max voltage is 80V and max current is 8A so they would make an amplifier with an output of 77W into 8 ohms or 140W into 4 ohms.

NTE are expensive replacements for ordinary less expensive TIP or BD series transistors. Their max voltage is 80V and max current is 8A so they would make an amplifier with an output of 77W into 8 ohms or 140W into 4 ohms.

I'll vouch for anything this guy tells you. This guy ^^^^ is the audio king!

Ah, very true indeed. I checked the price for TIP 140 -147, they sell for slightly less than a dollar :) where the NTE TO-3 start at around $5. I was just thinking of using TO-3 as I got lots of massive heat sinks for them. Each heat sink can accept up to 3 TO-3 transistors so its a very big plus when it comes to controlling the thermal runaway. However this will drastically increase the overall size of the unit :(. Anyways thank you for your suggestion, I will go ahead and use TIP since I don't want my amp to be the size of refrigerator...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back