Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to scavenge from old computer motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan1400

Hey guys and gals!

I got two old motherboards from junkyard near my home and i was
wondering what components can i desolder and re-use in some of my
projects, i am new at building electronic circuits and stuff.
So far i am pretty sure i will be taking some capacitors, piezo speakers
and maybe some diodes, do you have any tips on what IC`s, transistors
and similar more complex components that can be found
on old motherboards can be practically re-used?
Thanks in advance for any helpful tips and will be glad to provide any additional info!

You pretty much called it. Maybe a few inductors tossed in. There are also the connectors if you ever have future use for them. I just maintain a bone yard box with some motherboards plus a few old chassis. When I need something I look on the boards I have. I don't have the time or patience to strip the boards and file by pile with the parts. :)

Ron

You pretty much called it. Maybe a few inductors tossed in. There are also the connectors if you ever have future use for them. I just maintain a bone yard box with some motherboards plus a few old chassis. When I need something I look on the boards I have. I don't have the time or patience to strip the boards and file by pile with the parts. :)

Ron

Thanks for the tip, i guess excluding the 3V button cell (it still worked!) and holder there really are no more rare components in there,
except some DC voltage regulators, jumpers and similar "small game" :-D.

i take just about everything off them, i use most of the surface mt resistors quite a bit, the 1206 ones fit just about perfect between the .100" holes on those
perf boards, you also have a thirmister or two on some of them, and most of the brds i have had several invertors on them, also the jumpers come in handy, i just
started one day and got any numbers off the componants and looked for the data sheets just to see if i had a use for them, it also helped me to learn what type
of componant it was.."sot23,...."

Crystals, oscillator modules, configuration jumpers and the pins they sit on, although the pins can be a bit of a bear to get out.

A blowlamp or a heat gun is sometime effective in bulk removal of components:eek:
Beware the smell from the burning board is bad!

JimB

i take just about everything off them, i use most of the surface mt resistors quite a bit, the 1206 ones fit just about perfect between the .100" holes on those
perf boards, you also have a thirmister or two on some of them, and most of the brds i have had several invertors on them, also the jumpers come in handy, i just
started one day and got any numbers off the componants and looked for the data sheets just to see if i had a use for them, it also helped me to learn what type
of componant it was.."sot23,...."

I forgot about these thermistors, but i think my motherboards have them integrated (in CPU and north bridge), thanks for the tip on surface mount resistors working well with perfboards, i got two spare so i think i will give it a shot sometime.

Crystals, oscillator modules, configuration jumpers and the pins they sit on, although the pins can be a bit of a bear to get out.

A blowlamp or a heat gun is sometime effective in bulk removal of components:eek:
Beware the smell from the burning board is bad!

JimB

I gotta learn to use the crystals and oscillator modules, never used them before
(as i said i am a rookie :-D) but now that i think about it the CMOS clock crystal
could be used in digital clocks, right?

hi Dan,
I do the same as Ron, keep all the old PCB's in a box, until I need the odd part, else you have to find an organised 'home' for all the bits you taken off

If you can find any heat sinks, I would try to keep those. You never know when they might be handy, especially in power applications.

As mentioned before, I suggest you just hold on to all your old circuit boards. My workshop is filled with piles of them two feet high, and if I need a component, that is the first place I look.
Before I took this approach, I would desolder a couple of components from the circuit board that I knew I needed and tossed the rest away. Then, a couple weeks later, I realized that for another project, I needed something from the board that I had just thrown away. That's probably one of the worst feelings in the world--it makes you feel really stupid :p
So the moral of the story: If you have enough room, keep any circuit boards you can find--you will thank yourself in the future!
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back