Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What to do with a defective laptop ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
1Steveo said:
You can not Just reformat and install on a Dell !
Look at this link.
https://support.dell.com/support/to...EC1C21&docid=07302457082C47EDA1A8F9619885F51F

Hope it helps

Hi Steve,

That link addresses partitioning, not formatting. The Dell support page which does address formatting says that it is possible, and doesn't require any special tools: https://support.dell.com/support/to...499607&docid=CC3C0F5D088F47809319D8302CDB4551

At any rate, the little debug script on the partitioning page isn't anything magical; it just overwrites the partition table with zeros. Which, if the Dell in question has a hidden restore partition, will probably make it so that you can no longer restore using Ctrl-F11.

Reformatting the C: drive should be fine. Just leave the partition table, MBR, and any system restore partition (if it exists) alone.

Torben

[Edit: FWIW I tend to agree with sarma: it sounds like the CD has a scratch or something.]

Last edited:
System restore partions are evil. One of the reasons I don't like 'big box' companies like Dell. I always buy my machines from a reputable local company that offers a wide variety of components and offers good service/warranty.

Sceadwian said:
System restore partions are evil. One of the reasons I don't like 'big box' companies like Dell. I always buy my machines from a reputable local company that offers a wide variety of components and offers good service/warranty.

Yep, I agree 100%. Give me a CD set anyday. Remember the good ol' days when you'd actually get an install CD for the OS you ostensibly bought with the machine? *sigh*

If it was my box, I'd boot the live CD, repartition the drive, and install Linux or *BSD. Maybe dual-boot to WinXP depending on the size of the disc.

I also prefer to support my local machine builders. But if someone drops a usable box on my lap and it's a Dell I don't bin it. Maybe turn it into a router or a distributed computing client or something. Or refurbish it and give it to FreeGeek or a school.

Torben

What to do with a defective laptop ?? [RESOLVED]

I will open the laptop, remove the drive, maybe there is some loose connection in the connector. Reading all the posts I think this might be one of the problems...If this fails I will get it repaired....or have the drive replaced

thanks all

arunb

Last edited:
arunb said:
I will open the laptop, remove the drive, maybe there is some loose connection in the connector. Reading all the posts I think this might be one of the problems...If this fails I will get it repaired....or have the drive replaced

thanks all

arunb

I suppose you could do that, but have you tried other CDs in the drive? Nothing you've said so far makes it sound like there's anything wrong with the CD drive.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back