Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What software do you use to draw sch and PCB layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Protel99se.Recently installed DXP,but still need some time to get used to it :) .

What software do you guys use?I'm just curious about how people from all over the globe do the samilar job in different ways.

i use Eagle free edition.

but if you really want to make PCBs on a professional level you should leave protel and use PADS or Cadstar. Orcad is also good, but lots of people say that the Layout of Orcad really sucks! some people believe that Allergo has a really good layout tool. so schematic capture in Orcad and then layout in Allergo is also a good combination.

i even talked to a dealer of altium here in my country and he said that Protel is not that good. in his opinion PCAD (also from Altium) is better than Protel. so there are many options for making a PCB but all of it depends on what type of work you do.

choose any out of PCAD, Orcad, Allergo, PADs and Cadstar if you want to professionally design PCBs. but if you just want to do it on a hobbyist's level, then i would recommend Eagle

Has anybody tried FreePCB? I'm very new to board layout software, so I really don't really know what features to look for, but it is very easy to use (I laid out a fairly complicated SMPS in it the first day).

I use Design Works Lite for designing schematics it is delightfully easy to use, but the down side to it is that I don't think you can make PCB diagrams.

Egale on my PC, its good, i use it on both linux on windows. Now i have started using GEDA suite for linux as well and it seems to be really good.

I agree about Protel - we had to use it at college, I had '99 at college, DXP at home. I found them incredibly awkward and illogical to use. Give me Eagle any day.

Attachments

• eagleprotel.gif
    eagleprotel.gif
    27.6 KB · Views: 894
Well Protel takes some time to get used to. I personally prefer ORCAD, simply because I am used to it.

Thanks to all you guys! 8) Phasor,that was an interesting picture.

Read about so many software here,most of which are things I've never heard of before.I think I better try Eagle.I'm currently up to Protel coz I stared with it,and that most PCB manufacturers here only have Protel99 installed on their computer and they can't take orders drawn with other software.Anyway,it really sucks when I get to know the thing in my hand is worst of all. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back