Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What skills an electrical and electronics engineer should have

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammyboy

What skills an electrical and electronics engineer should have? also list resources (if you know any) to learn them.

I am trying to list some of them.
1.software programming language
2.hardware descriptive language
3.circuit designing and simulation
4.PCB layout
5.microcontroller

is MATLAB required?

The ability to offer advice here on electro-tech:D

I used to teach undergrads. The ones that became real engineers could solder, build stuff, and make an o'scope trigger

The ones that couldn't became sales engineers....:happy:

Last edited:
What skills an electrical and electronics engineer should have? also list resources (if you know any) to learn them.

I am trying to list some of them.
1.software programming language
2.hardware descriptive language
3.circuit designing and simulation
4.PCB layout
5.microcontroller

is MATLAB required?

All you need is math skills, and everything else will fall into place

soldering/desoldering skills are very helpful
test equipment utilization skills are also very important... oscilloscope/signal generator/spectrum analyzer/logic analyzer

As Mike noted much of engineering is basically applied math. So a solid understanding of trigonometry and calculus is needed to start.

Matlab/Simulink is very helpful for all engineers and scientists, but is only a requirement in certain sub-fields, for example feedback control work. Although, some courses may require that you learn how to use the basics and purchase a student version of the software.

also list resources (if you know any) to learn them.

This was one of my favorite books when I started thinking about a career in embedded systems. It won't teach you much electronics, programming etc. But it ties together the "big picture" very well.. I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Embedded-Systems-Second-Edition/dp/0750686448

I don't think the book is worth 60 dollars though.. I would pay 20.

The Newnes "Know It All" and "The Art of" book series are all very good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back