Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What size battery to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmklawt

I am making a prop that is ridden o,n for the local high school to us in an upcoming play, I have robbed the transaxle and controller out of a Amigo scooter to use in the prop, the transaxle has a 24 volt motor and originally used two 12v, 17Ah batteries.
I need to buy new batteries and would like to save some cash and buy smaller batteries, what is the minimum amp hours I should get in a battery?
The contraption I made just needs to get from behind the stage to the stage and back twice a day, total run time a day maybe 15 minutes.

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated,
Bruce

How many amps does the motor draw when running? The amp hour rating of a battery is amps * time. The simple view would say that, if it takes 10 amps, and you need to go 15 mins (1/4 hour) you'll need 2.5AH.

However, the amp hour rating is usually based on a 20 hour discharge rate. If you're drawing the current out much faster, the capacity will be lower. You really need to know the operating current, then look at some battery data sheets to see what size battery will give you x amps for 15 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back