Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what should i buy ? pickit2 or ICD2

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what it will be ?

Hi,

You do not say what your Pic programming needs are.

If its for the typical hobbyist types pic16,18,24 and a few of the older 32 bit chips then the low cost PK2 is the one to choose.

If you are looking to use a lot of the 32 bit top end chips and many of the new chips as they are released then the Pk3 or ICD3 are the ones to use as their software will be updated to match.
( the pk2 is unlikely to be officially updated )

what is the different between PK3 and PK2

Wp100 covered that in his post. The picKit2 is older slower and will not be updated for the new chips that come out. But if you are just getting started with micro controllers I do not see where that would be much of a problem.

The picKit3 is about twice the price.

EDIT: The picKit2 can function as a simple 4 chan logic analyzer or as a TTL to USB serial tool. I have not seen where the picKit3 can do that.

Even if you get a picKit2 now and find you need a 3 a bit down the road the 2 will still be useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back