Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What service do you use to etch your PCB ? (gatherig info to start a poll)

Which PCB service(s) do you use or plan to use

• DorkBotPDX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BatchPCB/Sparkfun

• PCBGeek

• PCBCart

• PCBWing

• PCBExpress

• ExpressPCB

• Omilex/PCB

• other (post about it)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

3v0

Coop Build Coordinator
Forum Supporter
The plan is to gather a list of the places people use to make their PCBs and then run a poll to determine popularity. I have a good idea what the outcome will be but lets give it a go for the people who would rather not trust me. ;)

Off the top of my head we can start with PCB123 PCBExpress BatchPCB DorkBotPDX, PCBWIng ..

Feel free to talk about these and others, cost, delivery time, quality etc.

I have had great results from DorkBotPDX and plan to continue sending my designs to Laen & co.

( Copied here and edited by moderator )

I have a couple recommendations, depending on how big your boards are and how many you want to make.

PCBGeek.com will make as many copies as will fit in 200 in. sq. for a total of $89 (to the US). Excellent results. The exact number of boards depends on how yours fit on their panel.

PCBCart made the **broken link removed**. They'll quote on any size board and quantity. If making a lot of boards, their pricing is excellent. Shipping is going to make a small quantity expensive.

PCBFabExpress has provided good service for small quantities of boards. Mention my name and I might get a referral credit :)

Sparkfun offers their BatchPCB service. I've never tried them but for very small boards and small quantities, they look like a good deal.

Dorkbot
will provide 3 boards for $5/in. sq. They order panels when the batch fills up, so it can take some time to get boards. I've also heard the solder mask and silk screen are whatever they happen to be making when the boards are done, so you take what you get.

Jon

Last edited:
I have tried a couple of times, they have a nice web based application that can test your gerber files and they delivered a very neat and good quality PCB with silk screen, solder mask on both sides but the down side, it took over one month.

I also tried DorkBotPDX, they display the date they submit the panel to the fab house so I was able to get my PCBs within 2 weeks by synchronizing my submission to just before they submit the panel. boards came out as good as BatchPCB at a fraction of the price and time.

Mike

Last edited:
Just to clarify on the soldermask/silkscreen color. The color has been a bit variable the last three/four orders, since I've been working on getting just the right shade of purple. From now on, it should be pretty stable. Purple soldermask, white silkscreen.

As lilimike said, I post the order date so if you sync up your dev schedule with the order schedule, you shouldn't be waiting too long for your boards. Heck, worst case scenario (you order the day after a panel goes out), you're still not looking at more than 4 weeks to getting your boards.

As you know, I use BatchPCB and you can see some of the boards in my other posts:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/breadboard-power-supply.108602/
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/8x8-matrix-pcb-completed.107871/

And some discussion about the service:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/more-breakout-boards.107476/
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/batchpcb-to-the-uk-be-careful.106512/

Edit: Should also say that I plan on trying DorkBotPDX, me and Laen exchanged emails and it's a great idea. I'd love to do something in the UK but doubt I could fill a panel in a month!

Last edited:
The Dorkbot boards are much higher quality than the BatchPCB ones and the minimum track width and drill size is much better.

Here's examples of both. BatchPCB uses a tin plating. You should be able to see in the pictures, it's not the smoothest. I'm not certain what plating Dorkbot uses. It's goldish, is it gold? I don't know, but it's perfectly flat and hasn't tarnished on me. Only thing I do not like about the dorkbot board I have is that the vias are not tented. It might be because I used large vias, this board was originally designed for single sided home etched.

Batch PCB is green, Dorkbot is the Dark Purple/Blue.

Attachments

• 20090507-sam7-devel-pcb-001.jpg
    20090507-sam7-devel-pcb-001.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 20090507-sam7-devel-pcb-002.jpg
    20090507-sam7-devel-pcb-002.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 378
  • 20101005-tach-adjuster-pcb-007.jpg
    20101005-tach-adjuster-pcb-007.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 362
PCB Artist

My software isn't on the list, but I've really been doing a lot with it and I highly recommend it. It is PCB Artist and it is absolutey FREE without any limits that I can find.

My software isn't on the list, but I've really been doing a lot with it and I highly recommend it. It is PCB Artist and it is absolutey FREE without any limits that I can find.

This poll/thread is for PCB manufacturing services, not software.

This poll/thread is for PCB manufacturing services, not software.
Sorry about. Well I guess I don’t know what that means, but when you design a board in PCB Arist you also get a quote for someone else to make it for you, then you press submit if you want it done. I just don't remember who the Company is at the moment.
OK I just looked and it is Advanced Circuits who provide the service.

Last edited:
Sorry about. Well I guess I don’t know what that means, but when you design a board in PCB Arist you also get a quote for someone else to make it for you, then you press submit if you want it done. I just don't remember who the Company is at the moment.
OK I just looked and it is Advanced Circuits who provide the service.
We are talking about the places that make the PCBs for us. You use Advanced Circuit which is not a choice in the pole. So vote for other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back