Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What schematic CAD software do you find the most useful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarod_C

I know this might not be a subject that excites a lot of people but I was just getting back into electronics, and thought I'd get some info so I don't have to try a bunch to find out what's best.

I have Express PCB, and like it because of the simplicity, but dislike it because of it's fall backs. I've tried two others but can't remember their names. I would like to keep it free, but if there's one that is really useful that'll work.

If you could include what you like and dislike about I'd apprictate it.

Thanks for the help.

I have very limited experience with both; but look into kicad and geda (gschem and pcb being the main components for schematic capture and pcb layout) - especially if you run Linux (both are well tested, large libraries exist for both, and they are both open-source, free, and unrestricted). Eagle seems pretty good if your needs are small, or you can afford the price to go beyond a small board and 2 layers (that number jumps quickly; if you need it and you're a hobbyist who isn't independently wealthy, it pretty much rules things out - but if you are a business, I've heard that based on your success rate you can easily recover the license cost).

I've tried Express PCB and a few others but the one I like best is Eagle.
Its down side is there are so many badly designed component in its library that I've created my own and when I find a good component design I move it into my library.

Its good side is you can start designing quickly without knowing the software inside out and there's always something to learn if you like to get really technical, it is also simple to design your own libraries.

I find the free version limits sufficient for the most common simple to advanced projects and I am pretty sure if your needs exceed its limit you most likely can afford its price.

Mike

I find the free version limits sufficient for the most common simple to advanced projects and I am pretty sure if your needs exceed its limit you most likely can afford its price.

Personally I think the free version's greatest limit is board size, unless you stick with smaller components or SMT. If they'd bump it up to allow 6"x6", I think that would cover more hobbyist needs; but then again I am not experienced with these tools, so what do I really know? The next step up for board size and non-free is pretty steep - even if you dump the autorouter, its still $500.00 - not a small chunk of change. The only way to recover that is to sell boards or kits.

Easier to stick with kicad or geda, I think (and for kicad, I found a site that had a ton of library parts converted from eagle)...meh.

Personally I think the free version's greatest limit is board size, unless you stick with smaller components or SMT. If they'd bump it up to allow 6"x6", I think that would cover more hobbyist needs; but then again I am not experienced with these tools, so what do I really know? The next step up for board size and non-free is pretty steep - even if you dump the autorouter, its still $500.00 - not a small chunk of change. The only way to recover that is to sell boards or kits.

Easier to stick with kicad or geda, I think (and for kicad, I found a site that had a ton of library parts converted from eagle)...meh.

The non profit version of Eagle is $150 and allows up to 160*100 boards with 6 layers.

Mike.

A similar question I asked some designers, they said pay greater attention to the synchronization component library update.

Thanks for the input, there are a few names on here I didn't see when I googled it. I'd have to say Altium looks the best, but that price tag will have to wait untill I graduate. I'm going to try a few of these and see how they work out. This really helped thanks.

Last edited:
What schematic CAD software do you find the most useful

I use PADS software to do my schematic and PCB layout,it is good for me to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back