Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What questions will you ask an interviewee about its current/former job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngIntoHW

Hey,

Could you give examples for technical and non-technical questions that you'd ask an interviewee?

How deep would you dig into the technical stuff that he's been doing?

Thanks. :)

As an employer, you don't so much care what he's doing now, as you care what he will possibly be doing for -you-. I am sure in your course of business (whatever it is - you don't mention), you have had examples of issues or projects in which you needed a solution, and over time or whatnot, you found one. Think about those situations, then write up your questions from that; ask the candidate how they would handle the challenge. Have them write out the solution, or tell you how they would go about solving the issue. If there are branches to the issue (ie, if I found that, I would do this, otherwise I would do that, which might lead to this, etc), have them explain their reasoning. Compare their answers with what you experienced first-hand (or what your other employees experienced; they might help in creating the test exercise for candidates). Based on their answers, you would get a better feel for what they know, and how they would approach such problems.

Beyond that, you're going to want to ask them "standard" questions about workplace procedures, etc - testing, safety, equipment handling, etc. If your product is in a specific domain, you might ask them about their knowledge in that domain, whether they have done similar work in the past, and what kind of problems and solutions did they come up with (provided they wouldn't break an NDA or other agreement in discussion, of course - tell them to give it to you in general terms if that is the case - if they tell you "NDA" for everything, even simple stuff - then you might want to pass).

Another possibility would be to test them "real world"; maybe you have a current problem that you need solved, and you don't have the resources to give it to one of your regular crew (maybe they are busy on other client problems) - ask the guy as part of a "test" to fix the issue, or help another tech to fix the issue (without the prospect being "hands on" - which might be an issue for your clients); this way, you could see how they would handle a real world problem, you might get a solution for "free" (or at least something to try), you might even see how they would work out with your current team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back