Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what "PIN" on the 15 pin connector of a VGA monitor triggers 'sleep' mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitman1989

I have a 15inch flat panel LCD computer monitor that I want to make into video gaming screen. I have the old circuit boards out of a Intec 5.4inch PS2 gaming screen that has RCA inputs. After taking the Intec gaming screen apart I found that the screen itself is a "Sharp LM6Q401" (which has a VGA type input). But the control Circuit boards were made by Intec, so I can unplug them from the LCD screen. So I found the pinout for the Sharp LM6Q401 and then disconnected the wires (Noting which wires were Red, Green, Blue, Ground, Composite Sync, ect). then I found the pinout for the female VGA connector here... VGA pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru I hooked all the grounds together since there is only one ground coming from the Intec gaming screen's control boards and hooked all the other wires to the proper pins in the VGA plug. I went to test everything and I turned the monitor on, but the monitor just went into "sleep" mode. I noticed on the website I said before the it mentions something about pin 9 being a "optional +5V output from graphics card". Would putting a positive 5volts to pin 9 keep the monitor from going into "sleep" mode? I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

P.S. the overall project I'm making is kinda like a super thick laptop, but instead of a computer it will have the guts of my old 'fat' Sony PS2 and old Nintendo Gamecube inside. I'm building a custom enclosure to house everything and I'm redesigning the monitor housing to flip up like a laptop does. I plan on making custom power regulators for everything so I can use a 14.4V laptop battery (maybe even two or three hooked together in parallel depending on how much current everything draws).

P.S.S. I have another question... the monitor has a internal power supply that takes standard household 120VAC and turns it into 15VDC and 5VDC. my question is can I run the 15VDC circuit stright off of the 14.4VDC battery(but still regulate the current) and not hurt the monitor?

thanks,
circuitman1989

Typically monitors go into sleep mode when there is no signal on it's Vertical or Horizontal refresh line, you'd have to tweak that line every now and then to prevent the monitor from going to sleep.

The monitor should be okay from the 14.4VDC but there's no garuntees, especially with any noise the rest of your circuit introduces.

as far as i know, there are various sleep modes, "V-blank" is the one described above.(no vertical sink signal)
then you have "black screen" witch is to disconect the RGB signals if i'm not mistaken.
i think i remember there are some more but i don't remember them

There are a few other VESA standards, none of which are adhered to very well.

I have a 15inch flat panel LCD computer monitor that I want to make into video gaming screen. I have the old circuit boards out of a Intec 5.4inch PS2 gaming screen that has RCA inputs.

RCA as in composite video?

But the control Circuit boards were made by Intec, so I can unplug them from the LCD screen.

i don't understand what you mean.

So I found the pinout for the Sharp LM6Q401 and then disconnected the wires (Noting which wires were Red, Green, Blue, Ground, Composite Sync, ect). then I found the pinout for the female VGA connector here... VGA pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru I hooked all the grounds together since there is only one ground coming from the Intec gaming screen's control boards and hooked all the other wires to the proper pins in the VGA plug.

okay, so you're sure that you're trying to sync a VGA display to a VGA source?
did you test the display with an ordinary computer?
you'd probably want to start with 640x480@60Hz coming out of computer, and then maybe check if the SVGA, XGA, etc. modes will work also.

inside a normal VGA cable assembly, R, G, and B are each carried on their very own coaxial cables. it's quite usual to have a 75Ω terminator at the ends of these lines... or was it 150Ω? hmmm.
but i'd expect your monitor to sync anyway.

double check your wiring on the vga plug... check what signal our game console is putting out (does it work with a regular computer monitor?)

RCA as in composite video?
inside a normal VGA cable assembly, R, G, and B are each carried on their very own coaxial cables. it's quite usual to have a 75Ω terminator at the ends of these lines... or was it 150Ω? hmmm.

75ohms. ;)

So I found the pinout for the Sharp LM6Q401 and then disconnected the wires (Noting which wires were Red, Green, Blue, Ground, Composite Sync, ect).
if you have Red Gren Blue Ground and COMPOSITE SYNC then that's a RGB conector, not VGA. VGA has separated H-sync and V-sync.

75 ohms!
Many monitors with H & V sycn inputs will run from composit sync when V is not connected. You should not count on it!

if you have Red Gren Blue Ground and COMPOSITE SYNC then that's a RGB conector, not VGA. VGA has separated H-sync and V-sync.

ah yes. it seems that composite sync is your issue...
but then,
as far as i can tell,
game-cubes do make c-sync + rgb
but the ps2 gives a sync-on-green output.

this info might help:
VGA to RGB+sync converter
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back