Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what PIC should i use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya. After that it's a limited demo or cough up 500 clams. Ouch!

I'm stickin with BoostC. Only $75 for a compiler for 16F, 18F and some 12F's. Great deal!
I am not saying BoostC is not good. I have not used it.

Why are we even talking about this? The free C18 works but does not optimize so you use more flash. In the few cases where you need more flalsh buy a PIC with more memory. Same for speed.

3v0,do you know the assembly language...what are C18 C or Swordfish Basic??a sofware or PIC?i really need all of you help in programming cause i don't have much experience

I prefer C. See this link

3v0's Tutorials for ABSOLUTE BEGINNER C,PIC 18F,MPLAB® and MCC18 Compiler

below for a introduction to C18 that you should be able to follow.

I'm stickin with BoostC. Only $75 for a compiler for 16F, 18F and some 12F's. Great deal!
Futz,

I downloaded the free/lite version of BoostC a couple weeks ago because I saw you were using it for the 16F88. It's limited to 2K of code space and 2 banks of RAM but that's all of the memory space on my 12F683 and the majority of memory space on most other 12F and 16F devices so I don't consider the free/lite version very limited or crippled for those devices.

Honestly, I'm tickled to be writing 12F683 programs in C for the first time. It's a treat, an interesting puzzle, and a fun challenge trying to write C code that's as efficient as my assembly language code.

Mike

Last edited:
To download the C18 compiler.

First you need to setup an account (register) and log in.
This does not require a credit card or money.

On the microchip homepage find DESIGN
Under that click on DEVELOPMENT TOOLS

On this page find SOFTWARE
Under that click on MPLAB C COMPILERS

On this page find and click on
MPLAB C Compiler for PIC18 MCUs

On this page find DOWNLOADS (near bottom of page)
Under that click on
MPLAB C Compiler for PIC18 MCUs v3.20 - Student Edition

i have many question here
1)your program(LED) can compile in C++ language??i have try compile in C++ but have error occur(unknown pragma & Cannot open include file: 'p18f1320.h')if not C++,then can you show the step how to compile it
2)what's the function of Oscillator selection,watchdog timer,low voltage ICSP
3)is it the ADCON1 = 0x7F is fixed..can i change ADCON2 and what's mean 0x7F and why we need convert RA0 to digital
4)if we want turn LED on isit must need the 2 step
TRISA = 0b10111110; why is this value,can i change to other value
PORTA = 0b00000001; the bit0 is 1, mean turn on LED bit0?
5)#pragma isit tell compiler what value of PIC we use like PIC18F1320

Last edited:
1)your program(LED) can compile in C++ language??i have try compile in C++ but have error occur(unknown pragma & Cannot open include file: 'p18f1320.h')if not C++,then can you show the step how to compile it

Why are you talking about C++, download C18 as explained above and use that - C++ is no use for PIC's.

The tutorial explains most everything in great detail. Read it carefuly. Do not skip any of it because you think you already know it. I will answer the questions that are not in the tutorial.

The program is specific to a PIC18F1320. You can use MPLAB and C18 to compile the program. For now use the simulator to execute it DEBUG>SELECT_TOOL>SIMULATOR.

2)what's the function of Oscillator selection,watchdog timer,low voltage ICSP
This is all explained in the processor data sheet. For now you can use what I provided because it works. I have to skip over (explain latter) some details or the tutorial would be too long to be useful.

3)is it the ADCON1 = 0x7F is fixed..can i change ADCON2 and what's mean 0x7F and why we need convert RA0 to digital
Again to run the tutorial use the line ADCON1=0x7F. We will use this line in every program till we get to the tutorial on analog input, then we will need to change it. Do not expect the first tutorial to teach you everything you will ever need to know.
:)

4)if we want turn LED on isit must need the 2 step
TRISA = 0b10111110; why is this value,can i change to other value
PORTA = 0b00000001; the bit0 is 1, mean turn on LED bit0?
The LEDs on the Junebug are charlieplexed. See JPUG#1 on the blueroomElectronics site for detailed info but for now. The TRISA make all bits of A inputs, execpt bit 0 and bit 6 which are outputs. The PORTA make PORTA bit 0 high (+5V) and PORTA bit 6 low (0V). The led connected between bit 0 and bit 6 will light. There are actualy 2 leds between them but only the one with its annod connect to PORTA bit 0 will come on. There is a correct value for TRISA and PORTA that will turn on each of the six LEDs. For this tutorial I just want to turn on one without knowing how and why charlieplexing works. That is why it is not explained.

5)#pragma isit tell compiler what value of PIC we use like PIC18F1320
#pragma can be used to tell the compiler many things. But what PIC we are using is not one of them. That is done in the code by including the right processor header file #include <pic18F1320.h> and in the MPLAB user interface by clicking on CONFIGUR>SELECT_DEVICE and picking PIC18F1320. MPLAB passes the processor type to the compiler.

Last edited:
hey,sorry everyone.i'm busy my assignment and test so no time login.next 2week i'll post my question again.thanks for you all supported me so far.

anyone know how these circuit work??please help..thanks in advance
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

any expert please help me...i'm beginner to learn electronics circuit..can you all guide me

Last edited:
the documentation do not explain anything. that is why i need your explain them.these are no using PIC..just IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back