Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What might happen? (laptop warranty repair)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
Ok guys and gals. I had a laptop for about 4 weeks and the left click looks like the pic. The maximum depression at rest is about 1 mm. Is the key broken?

It also had a real problem with the keyboard (intermittant space bar), but I guess my instructions on how to duplicate the problem at a 100% failure rate were a bit hazy and they returned it to me unfixed and with there tooling included (HD+battery). I sent it back with pics and pics where you have to press the space bar (anywhere along the front edge) to get 100% failures. It has been determined that the same model keyboard works correctly at the store.

I had asked for an upgrade and I was quoted a price for a backlit keyboard, but later I was told that they don't do upgrades.

I was also told that there must be non-functional to be replaced, so I guess the "left click" problem is not a problem. I also checked elsewhere with the mfg parts dept. that a backlit KB is not available for my model. So, I was quoted a price for something that they can't physically do anyway. I actually wanted to pay the difference in cost which is about $125 ballpark backlit, $55 normal, $175 quoted price.

I think the "left click" is a design problem because it should not happen in a week. Other people have seen it happen just before the button failed.

What might happen? It's been 4 weeks, so far.

Will they replace the keyboard?
Will they replace the trackpad buttons?
Will they determine it's a manufacturing defect for all relevant trackpads?
Will I get a model back with a backlit keyboard?

Attachments

• Toshiba_P1010313 (640 x 480) Left Click.jpg
    Toshiba_P1010313 (640 x 480) Left Click.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 239
Thats looks just like my computer, a Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4036

mine has a stuck red pixel which doesn't bother me that much, but the Mic-input doesn't work at all!!!:(

And my mouse buttons look just the same :p :rolleyes:

My button hasn't failed, and I have had my lappy for about 3-4 months now.

My Moms laptop is newer and the HD just failed a week ago...

I don't have any problems with the spacebar though!

-Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back