What might happen? (laptop warranty repair)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Most Helpful Member
Ok guys and gals. I had a laptop for about 4 weeks and the left click looks like the pic. The maximum depression at rest is about 1 mm. Is the key broken?

It also had a real problem with the keyboard (intermittant space bar), but I guess my instructions on how to duplicate the problem at a 100% failure rate were a bit hazy and they returned it to me unfixed and with there tooling included (HD+battery). I sent it back with pics and pics where you have to press the space bar (anywhere along the front edge) to get 100% failures. It has been determined that the same model keyboard works correctly at the store.

I had asked for an upgrade and I was quoted a price for a backlit keyboard, but later I was told that they don't do upgrades.

I was also told that there must be non-functional to be replaced, so I guess the "left click" problem is not a problem. I also checked elsewhere with the mfg parts dept. that a backlit KB is not available for my model. So, I was quoted a price for something that they can't physically do anyway. I actually wanted to pay the difference in cost which is about $125 ballpark backlit, $55 normal, $175 quoted price.

I think the "left click" is a design problem because it should not happen in a week. Other people have seen it happen just before the button failed.

What might happen? It's been 4 weeks, so far.

Will they replace the keyboard?
Will they replace the trackpad buttons?
Will they determine it's a manufacturing defect for all relevant trackpads?
Will I get a model back with a backlit keyboard?

Attachments

• Toshiba_P1010313 (640 x 480) Left Click.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 242
Thats looks just like my computer, a Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4036

mine has a stuck red pixel which doesn't bother me that much, but the Mic-input doesn't work at all!!!

And my mouse buttons look just the same

My button hasn't failed, and I have had my lappy for about 3-4 months now.

My Moms laptop is newer and the HD just failed a week ago...

I don't have any problems with the spacebar though!

-Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…