Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What LED 7 segment displays to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennydow241

Hi,
I am looking for some common anode LED seven segment displays.

Ideally they should be between 1" and 2". I don't care what colour they are but they do have to be bright.

I already have the driver for them which is a Maxim ICM 7225 with a built in 9mA current limiter.

I have found that most of the displays that size need more than 9mA.

Thanks for any help

Kenny

The brightness of an LED depends on the amount of current going through it, and the angle you are viewing it at (which doesnt much matter for 7-segs). By limiting your current to 9mA, you are limiting the brightness that the LEDs are capable of reaching.

Go to https://www.jameco.com and search for item 97199. It's a 2.24" 7-segment that has 12 to 21 mcd illumination. Perhaps someone else knows of a brighter one in this small size?

Thanks for the help.

If only there was a chip out there that could do all the things of the Maxim ICM 7225 but with a slightly higher limit for the current available to the LEDs.

On my travels I did find the SA15-11SRWA from Knightbright on RS components (rswww.com). It is super bright red. On the Data sheet most of the light level values are given with a current of 10mA. Hopefully these will be bright enough for me.

Thanks again

Kenny

Why not just use some pass-transistors? If your Maxim chip has the output MUXed, all you need is 7-8 small-signal types like the 2N3094 or 2N3906 (depending on your particular arrangement), a current-limit resistor for each display, and power for the LED's (can be same). Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back