Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What LCD to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmmani22

I've to interface a character LCD to AT89S8252 ..
We need 16 * 2 line lcd. So is the Hitachi HD44780 the industry standard?
I've heard it's a 16*1 LCD display. I've a query, can it also be used as 8*2 display.. coz' I read somewhere that it is also possible..
Otherwise I'll go with Hantronix's 16216L LCD
Which one is better ? Considering I won't need more than 8 characters in one line, but I definitely need 2 lines..
PS: anyway, it all depends on availability of the ICs in my city :?

It all depends on the LCD screen.
In my microcontrollers class, we used a 2X16 LCD, which was actually a 2X40 lcd, but only 16 characters of the 40 were displayed.
You can choose where to write to using addresses.

jrz126 said:
In my microcontrollers class, we used a 2X16 LCD, which was actually a 2X40 lcd, but only 16 characters of the 40 were displayed.
Yes i understand, but can the HD44780 be used as a 8*2 line display??

I believe so, from the experience Ive had with the LCDs, it all depends on how you address the LCD screen with your micro. you could make it any dimension you want (assuming its capable of displaying that size).

jrz126 said:

This is the standard method of operation of the Hitachi type LCD modules, presumably the Hantronix one will be the same anyway? - it would be unusual to find one these days that isn't Hitachi compatible.

So all the two line displays are actually 2x40, with the visible part (2x16, 2x8 etc.) as a 'window' on to a section of the 2x40 display memory. Be default it shows the first characters of the two lines, but you can scroll it across the 40 characters of the lines if you wish.

The displays loop around, so for a 2x16 display the 17th character and above won't be visible, until you get to the 41st, which appears as the first character on line 2. Once you get to the 81st character it starts overwriting the first line from the first position again.

Mostly you keep tight control of what and where you print, rather than leaving it to the display - so you tend to consider the display as two completely seperate lines, which are only as long as they are visible.

yes.and hantronix make 8*2 backlight and non backlight display's.I have a few which look good,nice displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back