Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what language must be used for Sonix MCU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oem_odm

Hi everyone,

Quick simple question

**broken link removed**

What language has to be used to program this MCU, can it be any or must it be their own programming language?

I know compilers turn the programming language into the acutal binary file which is burnt into the chip, but what langauge does the software designer have to use to programme it.....

thanks / jack

Perhaps a better question to ask is what tools are available? It took me about 20 seconds to find **broken link removed**
In general you can't use some arbitrary compiler - it needs to be targeted to the processor.

Last edited:
maybe i wasn;t clear enough.

i want to make a supplier use this chip, but they might say "we don't know how to program it"

I've already demonstrated i have no idea

Is their software engineer going to be forced to learn a new language (assuming they know the standard langauges) to program this chip?

thanks again

Is their software engineer going to be forced to learn a new language (assuming they know the standard langauges) to program this chip?
No. He'll just have to learn the new chip(s). There's a C compiler, and therefore there's an assembler too. Assembly language won't be too wildly different from anything else, and C is C. Pretty standard stuff.

No. He'll just have to learn the new chip(s).

thankyou

you mean he'll have to learn the port, registers locations, restrictions and features etc etc - but the lanugage of programming will be the same

also, I'm so curious about an extension of the same subject.

In comparison to a current Amtel chip, Sonix are much cheaper (almost a quarter of the price). What makes MCU's much cheaper than others?

Attached are the data sheets for each chip. Sonix is around 0.15 USD AVG in volume, Amtel is around 0.45 USD AVG in volume. Looks to me like Sonix is more advanced than the Amtel (i.e. the slow/green power functions) -

Specific questions would be...

Why is Sonix so much cheaper?
Which chip is better and why?

thanks . jack

Attachments

• amtel_at89c2051_mcu_datasheet.pdf
    381.7 KB · Views: 321
  • data_sheet_for_SN8P2501B_V05[1].pdf
    716.7 KB · Views: 948
In comparison to a current Atmel chip, Sonix are much cheaper (almost a quarter of the price). What makes MCU's much cheaper than others?
A company looking to break into the market and willing to take a loss on their investment for few years in order to build market share? Just guessing. :p

EDIT: Oh! I see something you may not have noticed. The Atmel is a flash chip - reprogrammable - more expensive to make? The Sonix is an OTP (One Time Programmable). The Atmel has twice the program memory and almost three times as much RAM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back