Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kinds of caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hi Folks,

I want to design an active high pass filter to pass signals above 40kHz. It has to have a very high sharpness

What kinds of caps are suitable to do so?

Thanks

Tantalum I believe would be a decent choice.

Tantalum would actually be bad; they exhibit very high distortion when used in signal applications.

For signal applications, polypropylene film (excellent), mylar (very good) and NP0/C0G ceramics (very good) are what you want to use. Tantalum bad, high-K ceramics also bad (X7R, X5R, Y5V, Z5U, etc). Aluminum electrolytics are OK for DC blocking, but make sure they are a larger value than what the application actually calls for.

The high sharpness means you will need to use a high-order filter or a specialty type filter like an elliptical or chebychev.

How do they exhibit high distortion when used in signal applications? I see them used frequently in audio frequency apps, what's the distortion you're talking about?

Last edited:
Tantalums may be ok for coupling in AC applications but they are a poor choice for deterimining filter characteristics since they typcially have a wide tolerance and are polarized. Speakerguy79's capacitor suggestions are good.

It you don't yet have a filter design you might try Filterpro from TI Active Filter Design Application - FILTERPRO - TI Software Folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back