Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what kind of steppers are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogdanfirst

hello. somebody gave me these stepper motors witch you see in the attached picture.
on the one on the left it is written:
M25SP-5N QH4-4067
NO.T Q5225 21 ohm

on the right one:

MSGB043A50 01
QH4-4066 SANKYO 5215B

the one on the left is MITSUMI.

can anyone tell me what kind of motors are these and point to some circuits for controlling them?
thanks in advance!

Attachments

• img_9486.jpg
    img_9486.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 921
Just from the looks of them, I'd say they're both 2-phase (bipolar) steppers (both having only 4 wires and all). If you're not real familiar with steppers, that mean they have 2 coils inside to drive to make the motor turn. Here's a link to some pages which go into more detail about this kind of animal: https://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/
Hope it helps you. JB

yep.
i got it all sorted out
they are bipolar. the one on the left has 21 ohm windings and the one on the right has 8.5 ohm windings. i was searching all day, but really couldn't find an ic that could to the whole control of the motor. i mean, you need to H bridges. and in the best case you get them both in a single chip.
but is there an ic that coud have as input a clock and a direction pin, and contain everithing inside it?
that would be great.
i tested them using 2 IC's that contained each 2 power inverters, it seems to work....

i am still looking for that IC.

so, as compared to the unipolar, what do these have better, apart from the bunch of IC's and transistors needed to control them?
i mean, i read that they have a better torque, but how better?
unipolar seem to be much easier to control. all you need is a counter and a Buffer, wich could be transistors or a transistor array, such as ULN2003 wich i saw it is very used in many things that contain stepper motors.
i hope someone knows an IC that control bipolar....

To drive bipolar steppers, you can use the L297/L298 pair of IC's from STMicroelectronics. The L297 is the controller and has the control pins you were talking about... direction, clock, etc. The L298 is the motor driver with the H-bridge inside which can handle up to 2 amps per phase. You can get datasheets and application notes from STMicro or go to ETO's "Locally Hosted Datasheet" forum. Here's the link for the forum: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/electric-arc.9023/.
Just scroll down to L297/L298 and download the pdf's.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back