Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of speech encoding is used in the various toys ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragooman

I was looking at the various toys that have speech builtin and wondered if I could replicate this using a small AVR2313 or something else. I recall alittle that the speech encoding might be PCM but I'm not sure.

Anyone familiar with this type of speech encoding ?

=Dan

PCM isn't really encoding per say. At least not compared to more advanced technics. PCM is just an 8bit (in it's simplest form) interger value that coresponds to the instantanious amplitude coming from the recording source, played back through a DAC at some specific rate. Ie if the value is 0 the voltage is 0, if the value is 255 the voltage is 1 etc.. repeated at a specific rate (sound cards use 8k 22.05k and 44.1k as typical values for the sampling rate) Investigate a bit on Wikipedia, there is a perplethera of information on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back