Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of hand do you add to your robots

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkshima

I mean I am sick of always ending up with just a moving vechicle that can do nothing because it has no hand.

I have been trying hard enough to have atleast a parallel jaw gripper on the bot. Results have always been unsatisfactory. They dont even end up being a size that macthes the bot or atleast looks cute and lovable.

Perhaps the reason is that I am no mechie and have no lathe or even a bench press drill. I just know a shop that can cut custom size plexi glass for me. I have tap and die set I use to make that special screw that has threads half cw and half ccw. and I have some gears.

So I am back to you great guys... What do you do about this issue ?
What is it that I am missing.

I dont want to just buy a hand from somewhere. I want to make it myself.
Size : something that mathces my 70 X 150 mm bot.

I usually don't build a hand until I can find a way for the robot to know how to use the hand on it's own. That's mainly because I build autonomous stuff and not remote-controlled stuff. THe other problem I face is also finding elbow and shoulder motors that has enough strength to do what I want- lift a 250-500g load at the end of a big long lever with a heavy hand at that end. But yeah, I usually just don't because I can't get the smarts behind the arm.

And who wants a cute loveable looking arm? I personally prefer to have a death claw.

Last edited:
If I were to use a robot gripper, I would use a parallel jaw robot gripper, because the jaws stay parallel to each other and it looks like what a robot would have :)

In the book "Robot Builders Bonanza" They have a few chapters dedicated to robot grippers.

Thanks for replying.

I think I am more interested in the gripper style hand only. Too bad i dont have that book suggested by Krumlink which seems to address this.

Are there any links, snaps, videos you have seen anywhere. Anything simple enough to fabricate without a lathe/mill.

I am mad searching youtube and net in general.

Thanks for replying.

I think I am more interested in the gripper style hand only. Too bad i dont have that book suggested by Krumlink which seems to address this.

Are there any links, snaps, videos you have seen anywhere. Anything simple enough to fabricate without a lathe/mill.

I am mad searching youtube and net in general.

Here are some examples. You can also just buy them if you feel like it:

https://www.crustcrawler.com/products/biggrip/index.php?prod=14
https://www.crustcrawler.com/products/gripper/index.php?prod=13
https://www.budgetrobotics.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=135

@Mashersmasher

If you checked out my ARES1 thread you will discover that my attempts at a homemade robot base really put me back about 60 dollars. Premade parts up to a point are great, but I agree never go so low as lego.

Attached are snaps of what I have built so far. not satisfactory :-(

Attachments

• 0807_000248.jpg
    0807_000248.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 0807_000308.jpg
    0807_000308.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Attached are snaps of what I have built so far. not satisfactory :-(

what if you moved the motor around to give it reduce the stress on the motor? having it on it's side could be allot better since the motor has a more direct connection to the threaded bar. you can get all those parts from a floppy drive too!

edit: this will also allow it to completely close

hand.jpg

Last edited:
mashersmasher, I agree. that makes a lot of sense. I thought about it but rejected because I am crazy for symmetry :D. I want to somehow keep the motor at the center. that way i could also use it as the joint with an arm tomorrow such that this piece could rotate about it.

Anyway if symmetry IS the price, i guess I would have to pay it finally unless somone helps me with a better idea.

hmm indeed that would be a problem. i posted a link to a grabber a while back that works wonders from my tries and works pretty efficiently on power that would suit your nitpickyness. OR if you wanted to salvage that one and had a couple extra motors you could have one linked to the other side and use both motors to power it.

If only finding "face gears" was not so hard, I would have a simpler way of reducing stress on the motor.

cd drives, vcr's, my friend there are endless supplies of gears of varying sizes. i personally stockpile them when i can. the good thing about cd drives is that there are 2 motors that are usually identical in many different brands of cd drives so you can get LOTS of matching sets

I have plenty of matching gears myself.
But I dont have any 'face gears'. These are gears that have the gears on their face. This allows transfering rotary motion at 90 degree angle. see the link below for a photo
http://www.lighting-china-supplier.com/d-p2521455-Plastic_Gears/

These gears are not found on cd-drives etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back